Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My name is ***** *****. I am having a problem with my 2003

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I am having a problem with my 2003 Altima. My left side low beam went out. I changed the bulb. It still didn't work so I changed it again. It still did
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It still didn't work. I checked the fuses and that fuse was blown. I changed the fuse, with the correct fuse, and it blew as soon as I turn my headlights on. How do I fix this?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 10 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** the fuse keeps blowing you have an exposed wire in the headlight harness causing a short that blows the fuse

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Do you have standard headlamps or HID lights?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess they are just standard.
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** simplify things then as there is no Ballast integrated into the unit.

The reason the fuse is blowing is because the amperage draw is too high on the circuit for that headlight, you need to find the short (which is 8 out of 10 times the headlight socket itself)

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

A good place to start would be remove the low beam lamp and get an electrical parts cleaner and clean the bulb connecter and dry it out with shop air.

Replace the fuse and then put the bulb back in. If the fuse blows when you put the bulb back in you can try swapping just the bulb and see if it fixes it, but more than likely it will be the bulb connector that needs replaced.

If you need anything else let me know, if not be sure to leave a kind rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I fixed it. The problem was the ground was loose.
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Good deal, thanks for the follow up.

if you need anything else let me know.

thanks