Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  41 years expierence on all cars and trucks to 2014
3506196

Have an issue with a 2008 NIssan Rogue, about 100,000

Customer Question

have an issue with a 2008 NIssan Rogue, about 100,000 miles...
diagnostic code says P0463 and P0304
car is overseas
mechanic suggest transmission issue but have no evidence of that as diagnostic codes are not transmission related or are they
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It seems the car is making a loud noise...
put brick above ground, the transmission appear to move the from wheel when in D position
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 10 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

no, not the transmission at all. it is a fuel level sensor and a cylinder missfire. both smple codes to repair.

below is the description of the 463 code

P0462, P0463 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR

Description
The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit.

The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the combination meter. The combination meter sends the fuel level sensor signal to the ECM through CAN communication line.

It consists of two parts, one is mechanical float and the other is variable resistor. Fuel level sensor output voltage changes depending on the movement of the fuel mechanical float.

DTC Logic

DTC Detection Logic

NOTE:

• If DTC P0462 or P0463 is displayed with DTC U1000 or U1001, first perform the trouble diagnosis for DTC U1000, U1001. Refer to EC-594, "DTC Logic". See: U Code Charts\U1000
  • If DTC P0462 or P0463 is displayed with DTC P0607, first perform the trouble diagnosis for DTC P0607. Refer to EC-775, "DTC Logic". See: P0607

This diagnosis indicates the former, to detect open or short circuit malfunction.

the 304 is a miss fire on number 4 cylinder. try changing the plugs first.

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
could the diagnostic have been incomplete ( car was started, then put in D position) ?
What would explain the loud noise ?
Could the PCM or ECM be faulty ( they appear to have been changed and I am not not sure they had the right ones )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I read the code translation on the internet myself.
my question is how do I address the P0463 ( got your answer on P0304, misfire... change spark plug)

I need more info on the noise. cannot evaluate it on the info you posted

in most cases, the fuel sender unit is the issue with the 463. common failure for this code.

there is no indication of a trans issue with these 2 codes. there is no indication of pcm or tcm failure from these codes as well. sounds like they are guessing.

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my service

Roy

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not really get any answer on what to do about the code P0463 except a request to pay $18 more for a phone call...reading the code translation can be done over the net and I had already done it... What I expect is an insight on why and what to do to fix it. Thanks

codes never identify parts failure just system failure. the chart I sent you is something that needs to be followed to determine the failure.

in your case, the fuel sender is the failure as I stated in previous posts. you seem to be stuck on a computer failure which is not the case. so yes, I did give you an answer.

Roy