Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Have a 2004 pathfinder. Was coming home on hwy doing 80 mph

Customer Question

Mike, have a 2004 pathfinder. Was coming home on hwy doing 80 mph started a slight incline and lost total power for split second. This repeated 2 more times when additional fuel was needed. stopped at gas station to fuel up. Would not start. After trying 3 times in 5 min finally started with no problem. Found out if I drove under normal conditions or not putting my foot into it there was no problem but if I put my foot into it at any time the car acted like it was not getting fuel and would pulse until I back off on the petal. I have taking truck to 3 shops and they have been no help. Doug
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Doug,

If you start it and then try to rev the engine, can you get the rpms above 3000?

Any check engine light on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I slowly put my foot into it I can get over 3k but if I push more tha 50% down I get the rev up and down protection. No check engine light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Ok

This acts like a faulty mass air flow sensor. It can go bad like this and never set a code. Without a scan tool that can read the fuel trims it's a hard sell, but it's usually the problem. I could see the catalytic converters causing this issue, but usually you would get a converter code with it. Plus it wouldn't happen as fast as it seems to have come on.

I have had this same experience with my maxima, actually pulled out to pass someone and the maf died mid pass. Car lost most power. I was able to drive it home, but same exact problem. I suggest a maf to resolve.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

Just thought I would check and see how you made out with this?