Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have replaced the eng in a 2007 3.5 altima,drove car in

Customer Question

I have replaced the eng in a 2007 3.5 altima,drove car in the shop with bad eng,now car will not fire?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am a little confused. If you knew it had a bad engine, what is your question?

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You replaced the bad engine and then drove it to the dealer? Now it won't start? Why did you take it to the dealer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Car would start and run but very bad, cylinder comp.repalced engine with know running eng.now car will spin over,fuel pump running ,just no spark to coils
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Scanner is at work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Checked all grounds,connections
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Well there is really no way of determining the problem with out a scanner. It could be a Cam sensor issue. But if you have no spark, you are going to have a code stored.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Understand totally but don't understand why car drove in and now won't start after engine swap
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

It is a used engine. It could be a Bad sensor, or connection problem. But if there is a code ( which I am sure there is ) that as you know would point to where the problem is so you can resolve it.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Maybe could be security issue because all of original harness and sensors,throttle plate etc... We're used on installed engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have replaced many engines over the years this one just has me stumped at the moment
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If it was a security issue, the horn and head lights would be going off, or the security light would be solid when the key is turned to the ON position.

If the engine is turning over and not starting you need a scanned to determine what is going on.

I had one question once that did a engine swap and had a bunch of codes. After looking at the wiring diagrams, I found one connector all the codes had in common and sure enough, the connector was not fully seated. So that is why codes are so important

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Engine jobs today have so many sensors and harness connections that it is very easy to miss a plug.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh yea that's for sure I'm also at technician at the local BMW dealer,understand the scanner thing,this was job for a friend ,that's why I used all sensors and original harness
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Basically the car shouldn't know the differnce in just a long block exchange
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Totally understandable. But if you work for BMW, you know it's one of those things where it could simply be a bad sensor or a connection issue.

Yes, if it's a long block swap it shouldn't know the difference , who knows if one of the sensors may have been damaged by the previous engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could go for that but I drove car to the shop ??
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

At the same time, if it was driving, vibration could have caused something to come loose as well

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have to go for now maybe I can get back with you tomorrow
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Sure.. I will be online around 10 am or so, then online till the late evening.. I have a Doctors Appt in the Am.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

How are you making out? Never heard back from you