Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2005 nissan altima 3.5 se sometimes get stuck in 5th gear

Customer Question

Hi my 2005 nissan altima 3.5 se sometimes get stuck in 5th gear after it warms up. I took it to the mechanic and got the cam sensor "replaced" later on the same thing happened again, the mechanic said it could be the solenoid but my car shifts great when its not stuck on 5th gear..please help i hope i dont need a whole new tranny
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running? if so, do you happen to know what code you have?

Also do you know if your mechanic got the Cam Sensors at the dealer or local auto parts store?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the check engine light is on but no i do not know the code.. Also i do belive this mechanic shop did get its part at auto parts
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

After market electrical parts never tend to work right.

Do you have a Auto Zone near you? They offer free scans. Can you go there have them do a free scan and return back with the code?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i can do that again before i did the first time the guy looked up the code on the computer and it said the cam shift sensor is failing..also i wont be able to go to a local auto store until 2pm cause im at work right now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you cant answer me without the code and 2pm is to late then a expert opinion would help please
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

The cam sensor really won't cause the transmission to get stuck in 5th gear. So I don't think that is the problem. The cam sensor would cause hard start issues or stalling. That Cam sensor if it's after market may continue to give you issues.

But lets do this. I can't really help determine anything with out the code. So I will hold this question open for you till you can return back with the code.

Will that work for you?

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

There is no way I can determine direction needed with out the code. That is why I will hold this question open so you can return with the code so I can help give you direction on what may need to be done to resolve your issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok i will reply with the code asap thank you very much
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Your welcome.. Talk to you later this after noon.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!