Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a toyota camry 2002 four cylinder engine. I have had

Customer Question

Customer: I have a toyota camry 2002 four cylinder engine. I have had a catalyst code for a year , I replaced the o2 sensor and the heated sensor and still had the code. I just noticed as the weather got cooler the code went away. I was wondering if my MAF sensor might be the problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

The maf sensor would only cause the problem if it's causing the car to run to rich. Sometimes the fuel additives will cause the code when they are mixing it for different seasons. Since it's been on for a year it's hard to say that would be the problem. I would also check for any small exhaust leaks or intake manifold gasket leaks. If you had a scan tool you could look at the fuel trim to try and determine if the maf is working as it should. In most cases a rich running car will cause that code. I would also check the spark plugs. If they aren't burning clean in the colder weather it might be causing a rich mix that's causing the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!