Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Similar issue to one i'vebeen reading online, no gh beam.

Customer Question

Customer: Similar issue to one i'vebeen reading online, no high beam.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Lamps appear OK, Fuses check out OK, No Voltage measured on the lamp terminals when headlights on and Main Beam activated. When the Light switch is set to OFF and pull stalk back, lamps flash ? turn ON light switch and BLUE indicator visible and can hear the relay clicking in and out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: rgr....
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What is the Year and Model Nissan?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2005 Altima 2.5S
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a Volt Meter? Do you know if the High Beam Fuses are getting power when the High beams are turned on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anyone there ?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I am here.. Did you not see my response?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no i'd rather type and have a record of our conversation to review later on.......
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

no problem.

Do you have a Volt Meter? Also when you checked the High Beam Fuses does the fuses have power when the high beams are on?

Are both high beams out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fluke Multimeter, Both beams are out ?
Haven't checked fuses having power, they work when the Light Switch is in the OFF position but not when its switch to AUTO or Fully on. I can hear the relay energising and BLUE Hi Beam indicator is visible.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Are we dealing with low beam or high beams? When on Auto the low beams would come on?

The low beam fuses for the Right side fuse is in the IPDM and there is a Left side fuse also. Then you also have 2 more fuses for Right High and Left High.

So please start by checking those fuses and let me know exactly which lights are not working? High beam or low beam?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its definitely the High Beams that are not working, I've checked the fuses in the IPDM, they are 10A correct ?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Yes, they are 10 amp fuses. Please check to make sure this fuse is getting power on both sides of the back of the fuse when the high beams are on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the best place to test on the IPDM ? its pretty tight in and around that module ?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Use the pinch taps and slide up the IPDM to check it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pinch Taps ? not familiar that that term......
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

On each side of the IPDM so you can slide it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72pUfyftLEM

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rgr, its -21 Deg C where I am in Canada, so it'll take a while to do those checks. Get back to you soon.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

you got it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both Fuses have ~11.39 VDC when headlights turned on and Main Beam ACTIVE
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Is that the low beam fuses or the high beam fuses?

If the high beam fuses are getting power, then we will need to check to see if power is coming out of the IPDM to the lights.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe they are the High Beam fuses, H/L HI-RH & H/L HI-LH both 10A
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

ok.. Well we need to then measure voltage out of the IPDM. Power goes to the DTR light module.

Can your read a wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the LO beam fuses are 15A correct ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sure........
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Yes they are.. Hang on, let me share the wiring diagram with you..

1 min please.. This way you can see what I am seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
rgr.....
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You are going to want to check all fuses also. The DTR module does play a factor in the operation of the high beams.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/2.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/2a.pdf

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is the wiring diagram. I also included the IPDM layout so you can see where the pins are located.

We want to check pins 27 and 28 out of the IPDM for power with the high beams on

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I need to check each pin to Gnd or Test between them ? I'm assuming that each Pin 27/28 is going to LH & RH sides
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the Daytime Light Control unit located ?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You need to ground the black lead of your meter, and back pin the connector with the Red positive lead to check for power. I normally like to use T-Pins. You can get them at a office supply store.

See link for example image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/back%20pin%20connector.jpg

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1b.jpg

This is where the DTR control unit is located under the drivers side dash area.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you have power coming out of the IPDM to the DTR control unit. Then I would use the wiring diagram to see if the DTR is putting out power for the High Beams when turned on. It sounds like it's going to be one of those two control units.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!