Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

WONDERING WHY I WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE FRONT COVER ON 2.5 2002

Customer Question

Customer: MY NAME IS***** I WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE FRONT COVER ON 2.5 2002 ALTIMA TO DO HEAD GASKET. HAVE YOU EVER SHORT CUT THE THING
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: BLOWN HEAD GASKET #4 CYLINDER
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 10 months ago.

I have been a master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to answer your question.

The reason is because the timing chain needs to be removed in order to get the head off and the front cover has to come off to be able to gain access to the chain. Sorry but no short cut on this and i sure wish there was because its a real involved job.

Below is a blowup of the parts involved.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/Fig.%2086_%20Exploded%20View%20Of%20Timin.pdf

Larry

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.