Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Jay, I'm ***** *****. I drive an 07 Murano SL and I've had a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Jay, I'm ***** *****. I drive an 07 Murano SL and I've had a similar issue to the page I'm reading right now. Deep rumble on cold starts and Idles strangely. The CEL light came on last week and stayed on so I had it checked by local mechanic and it was reading a cylinder misfire and he wanted to change the spark plugs My girlfriend's dad took out one of the easily accessible plugs and they looked fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. So the problem seems to be happening once every two weeks or so, when I go to start the engine the car will shake and rpms will fluctuate without me really doing anything. Today on my way to work the deep rumble was pretty intense as I was accelerating up a hill, CEL was blinking so I pulled over and turned off the car. When I was accelerating, it seemed like I was kicking out a fair bit of steam in the exhaust.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yep, sure . I'll be around most of the morning.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

How many miles do you have on your Murano?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Also let me know what grade gas you use and if you have a K&N air filter or cold air intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 135k kilometers. I typically use regular gas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
84 000 miles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure about the air filter. Have only had the car 6 months and not very knowledgeable about cars.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well i can say thay this time of year I run into allot of fuel system lean codes and misfire codes due to regular and middle grade fuel because of the ethanol added to the fuel this time of year.

How much gas do you have in the car now and has the service engine soon light ever flashed on you while driving?

Does it run ruff all the time or mainly at idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pretty much keep my tank full, hardly ever let it drop below half a tank. Last week the issue started about half a mile into my trip, again earlyin the morning after a cold night. CEL flickered then stayed on, remained on after I shut the car down and started back up. The shaking/rumble want there anymore but the CEL light remained on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had a diagnostic done and it said a cyLinder misfire. CEL was gone after the diagnostic and stayed off for a week with no real issues. This morning it seemed to start up fine again, but started a deep rumble/shake + a fair bit of steam from the exhaust, about a mile into my commute and this time the CEL was flashing, but then stayed off (last week was a flicker, this week was a flash every second or so).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs very smooth and performs well 95% of the time. The rumble/shake seems to happen somewhat randomly. Shake occurs About 50/50 idling after cold start/early in my trip after cold start.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am thinking your problem may be fuel related. Do you use regular?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you get gas when you were on your trip?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Meaning you got gas at a station you normally don't use

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm not that I recall. I can only remember getting gas from Irving, a reputable gas source in the northeast.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be engine coil, spark plug related? Mechanic who did the diagnostic saw the misfire code and his reaction was to replace the plugs, which he said would be 2-3 hours of labor plus parts
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Spark plug get changed at 105k, so i don't think it is spark plugs. There os two things that I believe would cause this. The octane level of the fuel with the ethanol or maybe a coil if the ground wire is broken at the trans.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you know where the negative battey cable connects to the trans?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no. New to the world of cars , if I'm being honest.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. if you were to remove the lower engine cover, on the drivers side the negative battey cable mounts to the trans under the battery area by a 14 mm. When that cable breaks it can cause coils to go bad where all 6 coils would need to be replaced.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somewhat. Haha.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well do you feel you can check this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I guess maybe I should have asked that way..lol

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could try, but likely not until this afternoon. How long do you think it would take?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It depends on you skill level. I can keep this question open till you can check. Will that work for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. assuming I can get the engine cover off (underneath the car right?) then what exactly would I look for?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, you may even be able to just pull it down folding it back to view the ground. But I want you to put your hand on it.

I am sure it's only fuel related, but I want to explore all options if you know what I mean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll give it a shot this afternoon.Just another unrelated question, by entering my credit card info and whatnot, I didn't automatically sign up for a subscription did I? just the one time fee?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you did, but if you go to your account it should say. Other wise you can go here to make sure you did not sign up for a monthly subscription.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I have a Doc appt later this after noon. I should be back online around 3:30 Pm EST so you know when I will be back online to let me know how you made out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That works well, as I'm not off work until 430 AST (330 EST) and probably won't have a chance to check it out until then.Adios
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Perfect.. Talk to you then