Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Ron. I own a 2011 Nissan Sentra SR. I installed a new

Customer Question

Hi Ron. I own a 2011 Nissan Sentra SR. I installed a new battery about a month ago. Then yesterday my car wouldn't start. It turned out that when I installed it I hadn't tightened the red cable tightly. I was able to get the car to start by having my friend manually hold the cable tighter on the battery. Then with the car still running, I went to tighten the screw that holds the cable onto the battery. I accidently touched the wrench onto a metal piece about two inches directly behind the battery. There was a spark and the whole car went out. Now when I try to start it I get plenty of power and it cranks but it doesn't start. I've been going through the fuses, but they all seem to be fine so far. Any suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

Can you tell me if the check engine light comes on when you turn the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn turn it over, the check engine light is not on, but the battery light and the oil light are on . Once I turn over and leave the switch on, service engine soon light is on along with the others.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

I need you to pull one coil and check and see if you have spark. Set it next to something metal and crank the engine. You should see spark jump from the end of the coil to the metal bolt or whatever.

Sorry for the delay, having some internet issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, sorry for the delay. I wasn't home to be able to work on the car. So you want me to pull a coil and crank the ignition correct?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am curious to see if we have spark or not.