Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have an 06 Nissan murano with shift trouble, when I slow

Customer Question

hello, I have an 06 Nissan murano with shift trouble, when I slow down for a light for example and go to ecelerate again, it make a quick bang when shifting down, seems to be a shift delay?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Has engine mounts been checked as well as the transfer case?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
fluids changed
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Transmission fluid changed also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it shifts fine on highway but most trouble in city, sometimes a bit of trouble in passing mode too
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Was the transmission fluid changed also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already stated that a few times???!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tranny flush was done!!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as a mechanic im suspecting a computer communication problem like map sensor or shift sensor or selonoid!
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I asked about the transfer case first, then asked about the trans. So i wasn't sure if you did transfer case only or both

Do you know what brand transmission fluid was used?

Whoooo... you can't flush this trans. Did you have this problem before they serviced it or after?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not accepting previous diagnose that shafts are worn, problem existed befor oil chg,, chg done by dealer so im sure it was done per spec!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
pleasefocus on sensor communication malfunction, either sensor or mane computer not doing their job,
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok,, if the dealer did the service work, then I am satisfied the correct fluids were used.

I have seen where transfer cases can make this banging noise. This is why I was asking about that first. Did the dealer check that?

What shafts are they saying are worn? The axle shafts?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

oh.. you have codes? What codes do you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no codes showing, im going to take it in and see if this link is actually communicating properly, as for shafts, he said it was the internal mains!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there an external sensor that tells computer when to shift down at lights?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
would a map sensor or throttle possition sensor cause any of this?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If there is no codes, it's not a communication or a sensor issue. There is to much electronics on this car that if it was a electrical or a sensor issue, you would have a code pointing to a fault.

The actual ABS sensors on all 4 wheels tell the computer how fact you are going and the throttle chamber voltage tells the computer how much you are on the accelerator. With those inputs it will accelerate as requested. Also keep in mind, this is a belt driven transmission. So you should no feel a shift. The only thing I can think of that could cause a bang under acceleration is the Transfer case ( seen them internally crack and externally ) , I have seen front and rear engine mounts rip which allow the engine to move to much which can bang, and if it is a transmission issue, it could be the metal belt slipping or one of the pulleys in the transmission not building pressure fast enough.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

These engines do not have a Map Sensor. The Throttle Position Sensor is part of the Electronic Throttle chamber. So if there was a issue with it, you would certainly have a code for it. This throttle system has 3 types of safety's for acceleration. So if there was a problem with the throttle system at all, there would be a code.

The Transfer case can not throw codes, the engine mounts of course won't throw codes, and if there is a mechanical failure in the transmission it may not throw codes.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have read some of the comments about other Nissan products!! sounds like there are a lot of this happening, wtf? I only have 150 000 klks. I think you guys are hiding a bigger problem here,, I am now suspecting the actual code reading is malfunctioning.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Well if you have 150k Kilometers on the car, the transmission may be covered under warranty. You have a 10 year or 193k kilometers on your car.

If you give me your vin number I can check. So if it is the transmission, it could be under warranty

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I understand you are frustrated, there is some issues with these CVT transmissions. That is why they came out with the Warranty Extension for these transmissions. As far as the internal operations, Nissan does not share any of that with us. We can't open these transmissions to inspect or rebuild them cause they require special tools that would be to expensive to send to every dealer through out the country. So they are on what they call a reman program. There are some test we can normally do to verify if there is a transmission problem. But if it's a internal issue, then the transmission would be replaced.

So let me know your vin number and I can log into the Nissan data base to check the warranty information for your transmission.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the murano is lady driven and I am concerned that there is a circuit fawk up, will have her take it to a Nissan dealer, if you leave me a contact number I will call back with the vin number thanks,is your numberxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for your time and help
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Personal Contact is against our terms and services unless Additional Service is requested.

Please do not enter any personal info in this question.

If you don't have the vin number on you, simply return back to this question when you have it and I will check the warranty on this for you.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome.. I will be online all day and into the night. So take your time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nissan murano vin number JN8AZ08W46W536687
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

ok.. Hang on while I check for you.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Interesting. The vin is not working in the Nissan Data Base. Even though it's a Canadian vehicle, it normally does. Is that vin number correct?

If it is, then you would need to call Nissan at 1-800-Nissan-1 and have them check for you.