internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

I am the 1st owner of a 2008 Nissan Quest (45k miles).

Customer Question

I am the 1st owner of a 2008 Nissan Quest (45k miles). Always let professional doing the maintenance job on schedule. Car runs OK and never had engine problem.
Recently, after having oil change at Midas the car can not start. Midas towed my car to Nissan dealer. Dealer found timing chain jumped and "Timing angles were off. Rec replacing timing chains due to being stretched. During removal of timing chains and Cam Sprockets, Tech found that Bank 2 cam sprocket would not come off. Tech had to pry sprocket off. Once off Tech noticed that the sprocket and cam shaft were damaged causing the timing angles to be off. Tech removed and replaced bank 2 camshaft and cam sprocket with timing chains and guides. To correct no start".
Midas said it is not their fault and it is coincidence. They said:"The store only performed an oil change. NISSAN has multiple technical service bulletins with timing chain issues on this car".
Nissan dealer said there is no technical service bulletin said this car has time chain defect and there is no recall. They also said " It' s difficult to pinpoint exactly why the damage happened, but it is possible that engine was attempted to be started numerous times without oil in the crankcase." and "best guess is that this happened first from being started without oil and caused the damage to the chain."
I am consider filing a small claim lawsuit against Midas and/or Nissan. I need your unbiased expert opinion: what' s the possible reason for timing chain jumped after oil change?
Thank you very much
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

I believe this is Nissan Manufacture defect. I have seen cam sprocket get chew up and jump timing chain in the other Nissan.

I don't believe Midas would crank the vehicle multiple time to damage your engine. There is really no reason for them to do that.

From my experience in the Shop, there is defect on the timing belt and sprocket from the start.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brandon,
Do you mean there is defect on the timing chain (instead of timing belt) and sprocket from the start?I don't think Midas would damage engine intentionally. But the car was absolutely normal before oil change. They took the key and drove it into garage to do the services. I was waiting in the store's waiting room. About 1.5 hour later, they told me oil change is done but car cannot star. Through the window, I watched them try to start the car again and again and again... I can hear the starter is running but not the engine. Later, they said they have video tape to prove they did correct procedure BUT never show it to me. In case of the video tape does show (or there is not tape and assume) they did forget to add new engine oil before start engine, how much does it contribute to the problem?Thanks

I meant defect on the timing chain.

Why they took 1.5 hour to do an oil change is beyond me. This is a half hour job max. If they try to start the car without engine oil then Yes it is 100% their fault to cause the engine damaged. I would ask for the video tape to be shown.