George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

How do you hook up the top alternator bolt 2001nissan

Customer Question

How do you hook up the top alternator bolt 2001nissan Pathfinder LE
Category: Nissan
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The ear is threaded for the top bolt, can you give me more details about what you are seeing and where your difficulty lies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My difficulty is getting the top bolt, which is the long bolt to catch the thread
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is 2 long winded for me
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Are the threads damaged? Would a diagram of the bolts help?

Have you removed the AC compressor mounting bolts so the compressor is out of the way?

I am not there to see what you see, I have to have you be my eyes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The power steering pump is on top of the bloody alternator , Nissan should have threaded the back part of the alternator
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You need to remove the mounting bolts for the AC compressor so you can get the alternator in and out. Would you like the diagram and procedure to R&R the alternator?

If the bolt is not catching be sure the threads are not damaged, clean up the threads if necessary and it may go easier.

Let me know if you want the procedure with the diagram

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alternator is already in, don't know how to get the bracket nut on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, would like the diagram
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I understand that have you chased the treads? It sounds like you have a damaged thread?

Click here for diagram

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ac is not over the alternator, the power steering pump is
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, click the link I provided above and let me know if you have chased the threads, normally that is the problem if you can't get the bolt started in the nut.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir they r no threads on the back of the alternator, the threaded bracket nut is in my hand, and again the power steering pump is what's over the alternator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No disrespect Sir, but r U familiar with this model, Nissan Pathfinder LE 2001
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The threads on the bolt and nut. I understand the alternator is just a pass through. Did you click the link I provided above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't seen no link Sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again, very long winded, you haven't told me about the power steering pump, Sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm stuck
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

If you scroll up you will see the link at the place it says "click here for diagram"

Let me know if you can see that

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the diagram, thanks, ***** ***** alternator in its place, the nut bracket is shown in the diagram but it's facing the front and not the back,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we get that nut bracket on with the alternator in?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You have the bolt in backward then you need to get space to put the bolt in as shown and have the nut on the pulley end of the alternator.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand Sir, but when we took it off it wasn't the way ur saying
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Maybe someone has put it together the wrong way? Have you mated the bolt and the nut to be sure they run together?

Put it together the way it is shown and you should have no problem.

Let me know what you are seeing or post pictures so I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George? ??, how do you get to tighten the bolt, there is no room, you can't see up under there very tight
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

It is an open end wrench, the nut has a tab to keep it from spinning.

Are you able to get it in place?

Did it start in the nut?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said G, the alternator is already in, the power steering pump is directly over the alternator, don't know what to say or do
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you verified that the bolt will start in the nut? Can you put it in place and get it started? I know you are having trouble but I can't see what you are doing, I need you to tell me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the bolt was out it was a perfect fit with the nut, if I pull it out again, how do I get that bolt in again from the back side?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You have to remove the parts that are obstructing you ability to install the bolt. If the pump is in the way then loosen/remove it so you can get the bolt into the alternator bracket.

Was it inserted from the pulley end with the nut on the back when you removed it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was not, the bolt was incerted from the front, we couldn't see the nut we heard it drop to the ground; taking off the ps pump, WOW
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Front meaning pulley? Or from the back? If from the back you just need to put it back as shown. If you alternator is too fat tap the bushings back so they are less fat and the bolt should engage the nut. The bushings slide in the holes of the alternator and you can move them with a small hammer and a drift punch.

Let me know what you are seeing here

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bolt was incerted from the pulley side when we took it off
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok then you see how it should be done, you can put the bolt in as you found it but I suspect the bushings in the alternato need to be pressed in a little if you cant start it. It won't be right but it will hold it in place.

Let me know what you see

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G the bolt is in already from the pulley side how to get the nut bracket on from the back is another long drawn out lesson, suggest to Nissan to put threads on the back side of the alternator, I've seen them like that before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G ur diligence / effort was there, thank you very much, but I'm still in the same position when we started about 3-4 hrs ago, again THANKX
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to move the bushings with a hammer so you can engage the nut??