Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2008 Nissan Armada LE. Earlier this afternoon, I

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Nissan Armada LE. Earlier this afternoon, I turned the 2wd/4wd switch to "Auto" from 2wd mode like I usually do anytime the roads aren't in their best condition. As soon as I shifted from park to D, the 4WD light came on and the dispaly icon next to the mileage counter that shows whether the rear wheels, front wheels, transfer case are in use, turned off. I shut off the vehicle, switched it back to 2wd and everything came back to normal. I drove off and decided to switch it to "Auto" and the problems returned.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Hey there thanks for the question.

When the 4wd warning light comes on the indicator display will go off because there is a fault detected and the 4wd is not operational because of it.

Have you had a chance to get the code pulled or noticed any other lights on at all? like ABS or ATP or anything of that nature?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. No other light l. When I put it in 4lo everything seems to work right. I can feel the gears engage and all the correct indication lights are on. I read somewhere that that it was a relay located with in the passenger side inner fender. Right next to battery. I did take it to the dealer. They told me that I needed to pay for an extra two hours (total = $390) to get to the bottom of the problem. I told them that they were crazy. I picked up my truck and the guy told me that he was 99% sure it was going to be my transfer case. I think what he wanted to do was charge for three hours for the diagnostic and discount that from the grand total which would of been an arm and a leg. I really felt like I was getting ripped off. I ended up paying for one hour of work ($130) for nothing. I know is not my transfer case.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No code showed at the dealer.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

So you can put it in neutral, shift to 4lo normally, drive around, shift back into neutral and shift out of 4lo, and it works normally?

only the auto or "4hi" is causing the issues?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that's correct. Only happens when I put it in auto or 4hi.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

have you tried the diagnostic to make sure it doesn't throw any flash codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
before I took it to the dealer I had my mechanic check it out but nothing showed up.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see what you mean. No i haven't tried that. But I'm on it.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Just let me know if you get anything, then we will proceed from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

The dropping resistor and transfer relay are on the firewall on side of engine bay that you were referring to, now if the actuator wasn't working on the transfer case or something you might consider that, but that's not the case here so i am not thinking you have a relay or resistor issue here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, well correction to my earlier statement. I put it in 4lo and it did the same as in auto and in 4hi. However the transfer case did engage and worked perfectly over snowand ice. I did the check following the instructions, don't know if in ding it right, but I didn't get no flashing 4WD light. It just stayed on at the end of the test. Tried it a few times.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Ok, if it's not working for either one then i am concerned it might be an issue with the actuator on the transfer case.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Well then I know where to start.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

You can access it on the right side of the transfer case its a black unit. If you can find a helper you can have them try to operate the 4wd and see if you get a clicking or operation from the unit.

If you run into more questions or concerns just ask. Follow up is free.

Just remember to leave a kind rating when you get a chance so the site credits me for my time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok Jake. I'll keep you updated. And I will leave a good comment. Thanks!
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.