Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2002 nissan altima just got new spark plugs new water

Customer Question

Hello my 2002 nissan altima just got new spark plugs new water pump and thermostat and has trouble starting once is does start the engine will turn off after like 5 mintues or so whats wrong with it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Let me know...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no there is no service engine light on
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

What brand spark plugs did you install?

Also did you replace any Cam or Crank Sensor recently also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was champion and no
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

First off, these engines are very sensitive to what brand spark plugs you use. These engines only like NGK spark plugs. Bosch are the worst ones, and .... well Champion in my opinion are for law mowers.

Do you have the old NGK spark plugs? Did you clean the throttle chamber or anything else when you did the spark plugs?

Water pump and thermostat should not cause this issue.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does it matter what kind of NGK spark plugs they are as in laser DBL plat or IX iridium
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I asked if you had the old spark plugs? Also did you clean the throttle chamber or do anything else you may have forgot to mention?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no i dont have any old spark plugs and im not competely sure i didnt change them myself a friend of mine did
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

oh so you don't know what he did exactly. Did you speak to him about this issue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i did
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did he come back to double check his work? Did he clean the throttle chamber? Did the car run fine after he was done?

Is the car warm or cold right now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im not sure if he did and the car did run after he was done it just stopped accelerating when i was driving and then the engine cut off
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

When the key is turned to the On position, does the engine cooling fans come on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Oh boy.. That is a sign of fail safe. When the fans come on when the key is in the ON position this normally means that there is a control unit failure or communication.

I would have your buddy double check all plugs are secure in the IPDM if he removed that to do the water pump ( that is that fuse box on the passenger side by the over flow bottle ). He needs to double check any ground wires he tampered with. If everything is good, and you can't find anything wrong, then more advanced tests need to be done at the Ecm to determine if the Ecm has failed or the IPDM has failed. But that is what that means when the fans come on. It's a control unit communication issue or failure.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when the car turned off it would not turn back on it would click but the engine wouldnt start could that also be the spark plugs
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If the fans are on when the key is in the ON position, as much as I don't like using Champion Plugs in these engines, ti won't cause the fans to come on.

When you attempt to start the car, the engine turns over but doesn't start? or do you just get rapid clicking or a single click when you try to start the car?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
rapid clicking
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Rapid clicking is normally a sign of a weak battery. The Alternator may have been removed to do the water pump. So you may want to have you buddy check the connections at the alternator. It maybe possible that the car was running off the battery and the alternator was not charging and drained the battery causing the car to turn off.

I would try to jump start the car and see if it will start and idle. If it does, then you want to check the alternator to see if it's charging.

You also want to pay attention to the engine fans. If the car turns over and doesn't start but the fans constantly stay on, then more advanced electrical diagnostics needs to be done to check the Ecm and IPDM for the no start issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!