Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Aewtase sorry my shifter button keeps getting stuck I have a

Customer Question

Customer: aewtase sorry my shifter button keeps getting stuck I have a Nissan sentra 2012
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: so the button on the SHIFTER that you push in when shifting into gear will get stuck or wont push in so if its in park it will not move into gear my break lights are not out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

There is a spring behind this shift button. It may require the shifter button to be removed and have this spring checked and grease added to the button if it keeps sticking. Other wise it may need a new shifter handle assembly. It is not that easy to replace the shifter knob due to the over drive button on the shifter knob ( if equip ). If you don't have the OD button, the knob assembly would be easy to replace. When it has the OD button it has a wiring harness that goes through the shifter which is a pain in the $%@@ to run though the shifter. Normally the connector is taken apart and wires pulled through. Then when installing the new shift knob, wires fished through and wires snapped back into the connector.

Do you have the OD button on your shift knob?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah I do
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have the OD button, that makes things a little tricky. You can also try getting some silicone spray and spray it into the knob area and see if it lubricates the area so the button will work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so here is what I did I used a lil flat head to pop the housing off which kinda dangled of to the side because of the od button being wired in and I took a lil lubercant to it seemed to help a lil but my fiancé called me to say it still sticking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its super hard to see the spring because its on the other side I take it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its weird because it seems like its locked when I try to push it in to shift and then when it goes it gets stuck all the way in so then I have to take alil flat head to pop it back out
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the silicone spray does not free up the shift knob, then you may need to replace the shift knob assembly to resolve your issue. But I would try the silicone spray.

To see the spring, you need to push down the black plastic lower part of the shifter under the knob. That will expose the C clicp that holds the shifter knob down. If you attempt to remove the C clip, make sure you use extreme caution. The spring likes to launch and disappear...lol. Once you have the knob loose, and you pull up, the knob if remember right can pop out to access the spring. But normally debris like soda and coffee get on the button and that is what causes it to stick. So using silicone spray could break that down to free it up from sticking.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jay!