Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My name is ***** ***** Ritchey. I have a 2004 Nissan Murano.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Ritchey. I have a 2004 Nissan Murano. There have been issues periodically for the past year where the car loses power and won't go more than a few mph no matter how much gas you apply. Now, the brake and battery lights stay on for a while, then eventually go off. Are these 2 separate issues? I believe the latter is an alternator issue, but the shop has not been able to diagnose the other issue.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really. That is what has been happening. The auto shop has run diagnostics and replaced sensors, but it still has the issue with losing power. You have to pull over and restart the engine - that always seems to fix the power issue. The brake and battery lights just starting staying on the past few days.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is most likely due to a Alternator issue. When you have a battery and brake light on, that indicates a charging system problem.

When the alternator is not charging, the car will run off the battery. As the battery starts to get weak, components will shut down while you are driving until the car goes into limp mode which will give you enough power to get to the side of the road.

You will need a new Alternator. But I highly recommend you get a Alternator from the dealer. After Market Alternators don't work right and certainly don't last. That is why I am recommending you get the part at the dealer.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, and that is nothing I didn't already know/suspect....
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You are right on track on what you need. But the only thing is I would get the part at the dealer. I know it's more money. But trust me. After Market Alternators I have installed brand new out of the box I have had not work. At one point I went through 4 different Alternators from 3 different auto parts stores.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Your problem is only one issue. The issue is the Alternator. When it's not charging properly it will turn on the battery and brake light. So that is what will need to be addressed to resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!