Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My 2005 Nissan Quest SE is also shaking, even at very low

Customer Question

Customer: My 2005 Nissan Quest SE is also shaking, even at very low speed, like 5 MPH. It feel like the entire car is shifting left and right going down the road. When I brake, something I can hear the whole front end making squeezing noise. I have done the easy stuffs--replaced all 4 brake rotors, replaced both front axles, replaced brake pads and replaced both front hubs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Also, I notice that the front driver tire is cracking on the inside. I see evident that there are some cracks on the bath driver tire as well. I do rotate the front and back tires.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
crack on the back driver tire as well.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

After rotating the tires was there any change at all?
Also, how many foot pounds of torque did you set the axle nut to after replacing them and the hubs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No change after rotating tire. Also, forgot to mentioned that I have all four wheels balanced and that didn't make any different either. Axle nuts were torqued to 92 ft-lbs. But it was having the same problem before and after I replaced the hubs and axles. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Understand.

First, the axle nut torque spec is 147 ft lbs. If you didn't torque them to spec they may be lose. This would cause the wobble for sure and may not feel any different. My other thought is it's possible the brakes are heating up and causing a warpage on the new rotors. If you are squeaking when you hit the brakes and they are brand new, it's possible you have a caliper hanging up and causing things to get heated up. If the pads are stuck in the bracket or if the sliders on the calipers are sticking, you will get some noise happening there.

If this is all good, then I would look at the tie rods as the possible issue. A worn or loose tie rod may give you this problem. It would amplify even the smallest vibration and make it feel really terrible.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I check to see if the tie rods is bad? I had the car up on the lift many times and tried "shaking" stuff for evident of "loosen" and just can find anything. That was why I started replacing stuff. Another piece of info, some time, rare, it drives prefectly. It could be shaking and after stopping at a stop light and start driving again, everything is prefect. Also, when I feel the shaking and squeezing when applying the brake, I can slam hard on the brake, take my foot off of it and re-apply the brake and everything seem OK.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, the first thing I would do is torque those wheel bearing to the proper spec. Especially if you haven't put many miles on them yet they may still be ok.

Usually it helps to have a helper look at the tie rods when you wiggle the front tire. Hold it at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and wiggle it back and forth. There will be a small amount of play, if it feels loose, then it could be either an inner or outer tie rod. If the outer is bad, you can actually see the play in it. The inner is under the boot on the rack and pinion and won't be as obvious.

Since you have worked so hard to cover the front end, maybe you should check the engine and transmission mounts as well. Just a thought, either of them being bad could cause a vibration. It really sounds like you might have a brake hanging up to me though. If you do, you might drive fine at times and then vibrate at other times.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mike V.,I will take a closer look at the vehicle this week based on your suggestions and will let you know what I find/not find or additional questions. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

You re very welcome.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mike,Finally able to start t/s the problem. I confirmed that the axle nuts was tighten to 140 ft-lbs (slowly increasing my torque wench until the nut started to move). I must have confused it with something else I did on the car recently.I told the caliper off, seem to be OK, not too much resistant pushing the cylinders back in. But I went ahead and replaced the seal kit on it so I can examine and clean the inside.For the heck of it, I took one of my old rotor to O'Reilly and had them turn it. So I am only to replace just that one again.Do you know the torque specs for the caliper bracket bolts and the caliper bolts? Just wanted to make sure it is put back appropriately. Saw several different numbers when googling so just wanted to do it right the first time.If this still don't fit it, then I will move onto the engine mounts and the tie rods.Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Torque on the bracket bolts is showing about 115 ft lbs.

Make sure the sliders are free as well.

Please let me know what more I can do to help and please remember to rate my answer.