Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My truck ignition won't turn over? Have break lights any

Customer Question

My truck ignition won't turn over? Have break lights any more idea what's happening
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you hear a click or anything when turning the key? Like a single click under the hood or any sound at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No click
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Key won't turn at all
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

Are the wheels pointed straight ahead?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None. Key won't budge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

The brake lights aren't a factor on this model year and the trucks. Check and make sure the truck is in park. Try wiggling the shifter and turning the key at the same time. If the wheels are straight ahead, then the steering lock should not be holding pressure against the ignition switch. However, it's not a bad idea to try wiggling the wheel while trying to turn the key. If none of this works to get the key to turn, then sorry to say but you will probably have to have the ignition switch replaced and the new key reprogrammed.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None of that worked. Can't believe this. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

I do apologize and really wish there was something else to try, but if this is not helping then the key and switch has to be the problem. I am sorry.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Truck started, I called the previous owner. Have to crank the steering wheel to the right as far as it will go, not much, and then turn the ignition. Trick started right up. Hope your not charging me the $28 for this.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

lol, wow, who knew there would be a trick, won't be long before that leaves you stranded.

I am not charging anything at all. You would have to rate in order for me to get paid. Hope you do realize this is not a normal condition for the truck and it's not a "factory" trick. I would get that repaired asap. It's just a matter of time

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Previous owner said it's a safety thing Nissan put in when parked on a hill. Says it has happened to her before. Not sure I get the safety issue of it though. I will have it checked out though thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome, and sorry but it's not a safety thing. If the wheels are pointed straight it should not be locking the key on you.

Best to you and have a great new year!!