Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

No power to obd2 port. Is there a relay rather than a fuse.

Customer Question

No power to obd2 port. Is there a relay rather than a fuse. Found no fuse out .... Service engine light came on and can't diagnose.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

do you have a test light to check fuses?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Also let me know if this is a coupe or sedan?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
used a test light and a multimeter and it's a sedan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

There should be 3 power sources at the OBD2 connector. If you have 2 and not 3, you could be looking at a Ecm issue. Hang on while I check something for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Want I have more issues if its ecm than just the "service engine soon" light
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

No, it can be a simple part of the internal circuits. Did you check all 3 fuse box location?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
3 box? I found the one under the hood and under the dash under the wheel. Where is the 3rd?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You have the IPDM as well. Hang on..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Checked all fuses in the link. And under the dash.....
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That image shows the two fuse box location under the hood.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Non of them read blown....
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you checked all fuses, you are most likely looking at a Ecm issue. What you do to verify if you have a Ecm issue is to unbolt the Ecm take the connector apart so you can back probe the Ecm connector and do a Ecm terminal Reference check. This checks all input and output signals at the Ecm so you can determine if the Ecm is the issue or not.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20ec.pdf

That is the Ecm terminal Reference check. Please download that information as I do not keep it in my dropbox very long.

What I normally will do is print this out and bring it to the vehicle and when I check each pin, I write my findings on the paper and when I am done I compare all the readings I got verse the readings I am suppose to get. That would tell me if it's a Ecm issue or not.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. That looks like a lot of work ..? Also it's about 10 degrees out right now. Is the dealer mech. More reliable at this point or would I be pay the cost$$$?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
About 45k..
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

the Ecm has a 8 year or 80k mile warranty. So if you are with in that, and the Ecm is the issue, then it would be replaced under warranty.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

So it maybe something to have the dealer check. Cause if it is the Ecm, it is covered under warranty. Just make sure when you bring them the car to have it checked, you bring all your keys. If the Ecm is replaced all the keys will need to be reprogrammed to the new Ecm.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that factory?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never had this problem. This is frustrating!
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hold on a min please.. having computer problems...just jumped on my phone to reply to you

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Yes that is a factory warranty for the Ecm

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, it looks like my Internet provider is having issues. So I am on my phone now.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry is that factory warranty and ok
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Yes, the Ecm and the Catt Converters have a 8 years or 80k Mile warranty.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is a Factory Warranty for those parts.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this something I can just bring into the dealer? I purchased this vehicle used from a Nissan dealer and have a VSC. That I can't find any info on the ECM either. Just trying to figure out my options and not in a hole ($$$) .....
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Yes, This is a Factory warranty. So as long as this is not a Salvage car, this part would be cover if defective.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The dealer will want you to authorize diagnostic time. They may start with 1 to 2 hours labor. So be prepared for that. But if it's the Ecm, they should not charge you for the diagnostics.

If they try to, you can call Nissan on them at 1-800-Nissan-1

Please don't forget to Rate me if you are satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!