sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2007 xterra that is much to start when a little bit cold. (

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 xterra that is much harder to start when a little bit cold. ( I live in ***** ***** and if it gets into 40s it gets harder to start.) 1 year ago it wouldn't start at all, dealer put a $5 relay in to fix. But now with first cold getting harder again. Believe their is a bad design in one of the under hood relays, even OEM one.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I will look back at my dealer part replace receipt to see which relay they replaced and see if there is a recall or service notice on it. Maybe an aftermarket one would be better. Lots of stuff on owners sights about xterra/ Nisan cold weather start issues.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that will cause a hard start including fuel pressure bleedoff, low fuel pressure, injector leakage, cam and crank sensor signal issues, an inaccurate coolant temperature signal, wiring, the engine controller itself could even be the cause.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I described a specific problem that has to do with relays. No fault codes. Your answer is so general as to be useless.

I'm trying to gather information to begin to attempt to diagnose the problem remotely.

You connected a code reader or scan tool after the problem arose and found no codes stored?