Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 03 Altima brake lite and battery light flashes while

Customer Question

Customer: ken my 03 Altima brake lite and battery light flashes while driving. I bought a new battery and alternator car shut off while driving on freeway
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: battery and brake lite flashes while driving I bought a new battery and alternator. the car just shut off while driving on the free way
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Volt Meter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok.. Well this is my thoughts. Some you may not like.

First off, I am sure you brought this Alternator from your local Auto Parts store, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I run into this allot. I mean allot.

From what I see when it comes to Alternators brought from Auto Parts stores, they either don't work brand new out of the box, or they only last a year or less. They don't have the quality they use to have. So I normally recommend getting the Alternator from the dealer. That is the only place that seems to see have quality parts. Yes it costs more, but you are doing the Job 1 time.

Now, when you get a After Market Alternator that doesn't charge properly, most auto parts stores will then Bench test them. Of course it always passes the bench test. The reason it passes is cause there is no load on the Alternator. So of course it will pass. When you have it installed in the car, that is when you have a Load on the Alternator. In the car is the best place to test it to see if it's charging properly.

If you are able to get a volt meter I can explain to you a easy test to check the charging system. Do you know anyone that has one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the car started back up I let sit idle ran the radio heater and wipers the light s didn't come on or dim
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is a indication that the Alternator may not be charging properly. When items shut down and stop operating that is a sign of the power being re-directed to try to keep the car running.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
maybe its the battery voltage
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you replaced the Alternator, the Alternator should be able to produce enough charging system voltage to keep the car running even if you have a weak battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the battery is good I just started the car a few minutes ago
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Well in my opinion, since you got the Alternator from the local auto parts store, I have a feeling that it's not charging properly and that is your issue. To determine this a volt meter is all you need. Do you know anyone that has one?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you are satisfied with my help please Rate me.

I hope that I have provided you with excellent service.

Thanks Jay