Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My remote starter and the press bottom door handle stop

Customer Question

My remote starter and the press bottom door handle stop working what should I do?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

First off, the Remote starter is not a factory option on this car. So in order to get the remote start to operate you would need to take the car to a after market remote start / alarm shop. Nissan did not offer a factory remote start until 2013 with the new Altima.

As for the button on the door handle. Is it the drivers door handle for the touch entry that does not work? Does it work on the passenger side?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both not working
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Really? How about the trunk? You have a touch entry button on the trunk does that work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The trunk okay working fine
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did both door buttons stop working at the same time? or did one go, then the other?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both it just happened today at the grocery chop and it took me more that 39 mins to open it and when I get home it's won't open again
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Well, it may be possible that the Remote start may have been tied into the touch entry.

But the way you would check the touch entry is with a scanner monitoring the buttons. So when you press the button, see if the BCM can see it being turned on and off when pressed.

After that, then you would need to access the handle connector by taking off the door panel and perform diagnostics from there.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is BCM?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

BCM = Body Control Module. The remote start has to tap into that control unit for it to operate. Since the remote start is not working, it could be tapped into the door handle operation.

But if it's not, then advanced diagnostics will need to be done to see why the touch button entry is not working.

if it was one door, I would think it's simply just the outside handle. I have seen the buttons go. But since it's both front doors, then I would suggest to have it checked cause it will require advanced tools to diagnose this operation.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I am not talking about the remote starter I am talking about the remote doors command and the press bottom on the door handles
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Your question stated Remote Starter & the press bottom door handle stopped working.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you have remote start in the car?

Does the remote lock and unlock all the doors properly?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not able to talk I am sorry
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is fine.. That is a Automated request for the phone call.

We can continue here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both not working it took me 39 mins to get inside today
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did you try changing the battery in the remote?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No but will try that tomorrow it's already late here
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Let me double check to see what the battery number is. I think it's a CR2032 battery you need for the remote. Let me double check. These Batteries you can get at your local convenient store.

Hang on

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1a.jpg

Yes, that is the correct battery number you need to use. This link also shows you how to replace the remote battery.

Please return back and let me know how you made out after you changed the remote battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay ..thanks a lot and good night
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome and Good Night. Talk to you tomorrow.

Thanks Jay!