Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2007 Altima began whining as we drove it the other day,

Customer Question

My 2007 Altima began whining as we drove it the other day, and then the key sensor light kept popping on as if it could not locate the key that was with us in the car. We had to pull over, turn off the engine and wait a few min for it to reset
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Where was the whining coming from? there should be no whining associated with key recognition?

The key recognition issue is more than likely just a week battery in the key. Replacing the battery will fix that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son took the car to auto zone and placed it on their machine to diagnose the problem, and it indicated that the transmission sensor was bad; is it two problems or just one related problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whining was coming from the engine as he excelled in the passing lane
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

That would be 2 totally different issues.

How many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163,000
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

That's unfortunate, since these cars has a 10yr/120k mile warranty on the transmissions.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

The whining you heard was more than likely from the CVT transmission which is mounted to the engine under the hood on the drivers side.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Depending on exactly which code was present (if you can provide me that info) i could explain how serious or not the repair will be.