Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

99 altima 4cyl. my short term fuel trim is running lean 25%

Customer Question

Customer: 99 altima 4cyl. my short term fuel trim is running lean 25% at idle @ 22.4% calc load with long term fuel trim at 0.0 closed loop. Driving at 94.1% calc load, short term fuel trim is -3.9% running rich with long term fuel trim at 5.5%.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have a check engine light code p0171.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yeah
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Looks like you have an obvious lean condition.

What have you done so far other than look at fuel corrections? anything at all? have you checked for air leaks? especially by smoking the intake?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I could not find a vacuum leak. The car does not run lean while driving at full engine load at high rpm. Only Lean at idle. So far I checked electrical connections for loose or torn wires, sprayed fluid around intake manifold and injectors to see if it changed the idle. Checked plugs, distributor, plug wires, rotor button...all looks good. Getting good data from O2 sensors.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Then your MAF must be out of spec. If o2 readings are good and you have NO AIR LEAKS, but your fuel trims are off that bad then the MAF is likely the culprit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will clean the MAF and put a meter on it. If that fixes it I will let you know.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Do let me know, but trying to test a MAF with a meter is very difficult.

You can test the sweep OK with a sensitive meter, but that's not even entirely accurate.

If you disconnect the MAF at idle the STFT should always go to 25% unless there is an air leak. Since yours is already at 25% that test is kinda hard and indicates the MAF is likely faulty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now i got a p0304 with the p0171
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

That's just another lean condition code and a misfire code being he only thing new here.

if the car is missing (which you didn't mention) then unplug the injector at cylinder 4 and see if there is any change.