Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My name is ***** ***** I just bought a used Nissan Sentra

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** I just bought a used Nissan Sentra 2011 about 10 days ago. My PS light is on light and I have no power steering. I am out of town and need to get back home, 5 hours away.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I drove to the store this morning and it was fine. I came out of the store to drive back to my mother's house out-of-town and I heard a clicking noise and then the PS light came on. I drove it to the house with no power steering and I let it sit a for a while. I started the car again, I heard a clicking noise light something was trying to switch over but didn't and the PS light came on again. I'm in Atlanta Ga and I have to drive back to Jacksonville tomorrow. I don't have the money for expensive repairs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you are getting a PS light and have no power steering, that is a indication that you have a EPS type power steering system. EPS means Electronic Power Steering. The Power Steering system has a control unit which will need to be scanned to determine the fault. Failure to address this issue could result in a more expensive repair. So you are going to want to address this ASAP. It also of course is a safety issue. I understand that you can't afford a expensive repair. But there is no way of knowing how expensive of a repair this could be with out scanning the system to see what code you have.

It could simply be due to a low battery voltage surge. The only thing I can suggest you try before getting it scanned is to disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins to do a hard reset on the car. Then start it and see if power steering operation returns to normal. If it doesn't, then it will need to be checked to determine the fault in the system.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I go autozone and get the codes read?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you recommend not driving it long distance......I have to make it back to Jacksonville
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Auto Zone will not have the tools to check this system. This is going to need to be looked at by a repair shop or a dealer.

I do not recommend driving the car long distance if the hard reset does not work. I would recommend you have it checked before doing further damage to the system if driven.