Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My son has a 1998 Nissan Sentra and we're getting a sound

Customer Question

Customer: My son has a 1998 Nissan Sentra and we're getting a sound coming through the floor boards when the car accelerates. He has a manual transmission. The sound get louder when he accelerates and sounds like a vacuum leak maybe. But I don't know if there's a vacuum line that goes into a manual transmission.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We've replaced alternator belts thinking it was the problem. We don't hear the noise when the hood is open.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, sorry for your wait. If the noise is under the floorboards then it is more than likely an exhaust leak. How would you describe the noise? Like a hiss? Or a tick? Or what exactly?