Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

07 frontier no start

Customer Question

07 frontier no start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light ON solid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no security light and no check engine light on when key forward
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key to the On position, does all the dash warning lights come on?

Also do you hear the engine fan coming on when you have the key in the ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan is on when you turn key to the on position,no check engine light and no security light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was blowing the tcm fuse, replaced fuse and still no start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The engine fan correct? Does all the other warning lights come on? Battery, Brake and so on when the key is in the ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If your TCM fuse was blowing, there could be a issue with the Transmission Control unit. But since the engine fans are coming on and the Service Engine Soon light is not on when the key is in the ON position, you could now have a Ecm issue.

When the engine fan comes on, that is a sign of control unit failure. At this point a advanced level scanner will be required to communicate with all the control units to see which ones are not communicating so they can be checked to determine if they have failed.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is why I asked about the engine fans. Most likely a Ecm issue since the Service Engine Soon light does not come on.

If the truck requires a Ecm, the part is around 600 dollars, 2 hours labor to installed and you will need to bring all your keys to the truck, cause they will need to be reprogrammed to it.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put a scanner will it communicate with ecm?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is only one way to find out..

If it does, then you maybe able to see if it has any codes. But you also want to try communicating will all the other control units also to see which one is not communicating.

But if the scanner does not communicate with the Ecm, it's pretty safe to say that the Ecm is no good.

At the same time, Just a little heads up. You mentioned the TCM fuse was blowing. The most common thing I have seen cause this is when there is cross contamination. These trucks had issues with the Trans cooler failing and allowing coolant to enter the trans, and trans fluid into the coolant system. When the coolant hits the valve body, it shorts it out and once coolant has entered the trans, the transmission is then contaminated and is no good. Which will require the Transmission and Radiator to be replaced to correct that issue. So you may have a problem where the TCM being shorted is shorting out other control units now. So this is something you want to check as well.

Just figured I would give you additional info to check just in case. This could cost allot to resolve and figured I would at least explain and give you the heads up.

I am sorry to give you this news. But it's better you know now what you maybe in for, before you waste money, so you can approach this issue the correct way.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!