Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My name is ***** ***** with an I and im a female do you fix

Customer Question

Customer: hello my name is ***** ***** with an I and im a female do you fix cars
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok i have a 06 altima m temperature gage is reading hot but it doesn't stays at hot it moves up and down and it down start until i drive it for about 30 mins i have coolant in it and my engine or radiator is not overheating i touched the radiator while it was running and it was normal hot like warming because the car had been running for 30 mins so i don't know it my gage is messing up or what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for your question.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

So your temperature gauge is fluctuating while driving? from hot/cold?

WHen it fluctuates, does it move slowly or is it erratic and goes from hot/cold rather quickly?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
goes rather quickly
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

hey, can you chat a minute?

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

does the heater work normally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it doesnt because because my heater coil is unplugged because it was leaking on my passenger side my heater coil been unplugged all summer though
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but plugged up yes it works
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cant call at work
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Ok, since we can't seem to catch each other the chat here, I will explain some things.

If the gauge is fluctuating there are a few possibilities. There could be air in the system, the temp sender could be bad, or it could be more serious like a headgasket issue.

Ideally you want to start simple here by burping the system to make sure there aren't any large air pockets causes issues with the temp readings. You need to install a coolant bucket 1/4th full and warm the engine up, once warm you rev and hold at 2500RPM's in 1 minute intervals to clear any air pockets. Once it stops bubbling and heat remains nice and hot at idle then the air should all be out.

If you burp the system and the symptoms remain you want to test the temperature sensor sender with a meter to see if resistance specs match coolant temperatures.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

IF all that checks out and the temps are still sporadic while driving then you need to test compression and/or pressurize the cooling system and check for cylinder leaks to see if the headgasket is bad.