Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2009 Titan. When I exit and lock the doors, the

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Titan. When I exit and lock the doors, the interior light goes out but the cargo light stays on. If I open the door and turn the cargo light on and then off, then close and lock it, the cargo light does shut off along with the interior light. I discovered it when looking for a reason that my battery was going dead. This truck can sit for a few weeks at a time.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you lock your truck, did you see how long the cargo light stays on for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just watched it this morning. Although I did not time it, I would say it took about 15 or 20 seconds. Sometimes though, it will not go out at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The cargo light never goes out? or it goes out after 15 to 20 seconds?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It went out this morning after about 20 seconds, but sometimes it does not go out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe it has stayed on while I was driving as well because that is how I caught on to this. I had something loaded in the box and while driving in the dark I could see the light reflecting off whatever I had in the box.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

It is normal for the cargo light to say on for about that amount of time once the truck has been locked. That is why I asked.

Are you 100% sure the cargo light was on when driving?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced the battery the first time it was dead(this truck can sit for a few weeks at a time). The new battery went dead as well and it was after that I noticed the cargo light reflection in my rearview mirror. I can't say for sure that it was not turned on with the manual switch left of the steering wheel that time because I had to stop to find that switch. I guess I never use it and I drive another vehicle more than this one.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a volt meter? I have a way we can check to see if you have a electrical draw on the truck to see if something is draining the battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have one and I can do what you suggest. The truck is at a dealership right now for a fuel sending unit? recall but it you tell me what to do, I will do it after work today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry - I mean't fuel guage sending unit and if you tell me what to do I can do it.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok.. Let me explain the Draw test to you then. What I normally do is First open the drivers door and take the screw out for the door switch. This way I can leave the door open and the dome light won't stay on. I will explain why I do this in few.

Then I disconnect the negative battery cable and connect my volt meter in series with the cable disconnected measuring Amperage. So I take the Positive lead and put it on the Removed Cable, and the Negative Lead I put to the Battery.

Now once I start this draw test I need to wait around 30 mins or so for the BCM ( Body Control Module ) to go to sleep. Once it goes to sleep that is when the draw test begins. If you find you have more than .04 amps then what you do to try to isolate what may be causing the draw is to pull fuses out 1 at a time until the draw drops into spec. So now since you removed the screw for the door switch, when you go into the truck to pull fuses, you won't wake up the BCM. It has fallen a sleep with the door open. If you left the switch plugged in or screwed in, as soon as you open the door, the BCM would wake up and you would need to wait that 1/2 hour all over again.

Understand?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Voltage%20drop.jpg

That is my Meter hooked up as I described showing a .02 draw. Which is well with in spec.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Some times pictures make it easier to understand. That is why I shared it with you.

Since your truck is at the dealer. Did you ask them to check for any type of electrical draw or check this issue you are inquiring about?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand. I am not looking at the truck now but I am assuming the switch stays in place without the screw but is no longer grounded.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Correct, When you remove the door switch, that screw breaks the ground connection. Sometimes you simply need to wiggle the door switch also so it comes off the body to break ground also.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did you ask the dealer to check this while they were doing the recall R1010?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I mentioned that I believed the cargo light stayed on an asked for an estimate before they do anything. By the way, if I turn the cargo light switch on and off, and then lock the door, the cargo light goes out immediately without that 15 sec delay. That is probably normal as well? I understand the picture.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Never tried that. But it may interrupt the logic for the 15 to 20 seconds. It's like the security light. When you lock the truck, the security light turns solid also for 10 to 20 second, then starts to blink. So it may work off the same timer logic