Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

When I go out on clod mornings, it will not start. when warm

Customer Question

When I go out on clod mornings, it will not start. when warm it is ok. yesterday would not crank till air temp warmed above 45. last night I kept in a garage and this AM, no problem. Battery is good aand strong, recently had tune up with uranium plugs and mass air sensor replaced, this did not fix, but fixed 600.00 here at Christmas! Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your questions.

What year and Model Nissan is this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry, it is a 2012 Nissan pathfinder 2x4 v6
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

When you try to start the truck, do you happen to step on the gas pedal about 1/4 way depressed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sure I have I think I have tried about all combinations n gas peddle.
This is only happening the first time in the am. Once it starts there is no further problems.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there are no further problems
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I have something weird I want you to try. Just humor me.

Next time it does't start, get a hair drier and blow it on the ECM and warm up the Ecm and then see if it starts.

Do you know where the Ecm is located under the hood?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that was my next question, is it on the left wheel well? (facing)
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Passenger side which is the R/F on the inside fender area under the hood. Yes.. Can you try what I suggested?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll give it a shot in the AM.
Last night I was able to keep it in a garage, (not heated, but around fifty this am)
and it cranked with no problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

ok.. Lets try that in the AM if you can and lets see if it starts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can I try to crank it first?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

sure!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
jay, today was the first day that was cold enough to have the problem. I warmed as you said and it cranked immediately.
what do I need to fix?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

it sounds like there may be a issue inside the Ecm that is causing this. Moisture or something that when it freezes it keeps the truck from starting.

So you know, the Ecm has a 8 year or 80k mile warranty. So you want to tell the dealer what you did if it's still under warranty. Or make a video to show them.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll be glad to give you a great review, but is there something in the ECM that can be replaced (like a temp sensor?)
This is not occurring with freeze, it happens at 50 degrees or lower. As soon as I hit it with a hair dryer for about a minute, it cranks right up. Unfortunately I have 102K miles, so there is no warranty :-(
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

No, it's something inside the Ecm that is causing this if simply warming the Ecm allows it to start the truck.