AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

My Xterra has a constant squeak in the front when moving or

Customer Question

My Xterra has a constant squeak in the front when moving or if I push up and down while stopped. I am also getting a clunking sound while slow cornering. I was told this was due to the motor mounts, what do you think?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Without hearing it, it is very difficult to say what the squeaking sound is, or the clunking sound. That said, the squeaking sound is probably strut related. The clunking sound is probably a stabilizer bar bushing, but could also be a ball joint, control arm bushing, etc. Do you notice a clunk when you go over bumps, like a curb?

I checked TSBs, (technical service bulletins) on your truck, and there is in fact one for bad motor mounts, so if your mechanic inspected your truck and determined that your motor mounts are bad and causing noises, it's very possible that he is correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfnhngvr3u0pv99/tsbext.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The squeak is constant while moving but the front up and down also causes it. The clunk is singular and comes with a slow turn either direction over a bump.

The squeak is most likely the strut. Although it might not seem like it, the struts are always working. Even if the road seems perfectly smooth. If your clunk is present when going over a bump, I would suspect the stabilizer bar bushings. Ball joints are also a possibility. How did the inside edges of the old tires look?

the clunk could also be the strut mount... I have seen that many times as well.

While sitting still, hold your foot on the brake, and alternate between drive and reverse while holding the brakes. Usually if the engine mounts are bad you will notice a clunk when alternating between the two. You might have to give it a little gas after switching from drive to reverse and vice versa. Just a little

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't notice any cupping but one was hard to balance.
I will try the test you suggested. It is still at 4wheel parts, new tires brakes and alignment.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually they had moved the tire to the rear.

Ok. When you get it back, if you can, jack the front end up and give each wheel a very good shake in all directions and see if you notice any play in anything. Try moving the sway bar, end links, etc. Give it a good effort. You should be able to locate the clunk with a little determination. Usually the sway bar bushings though.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

:) your most welcome