Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My name is ***** *****. I left my lights on Monday and got a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Steve, my name is ***** *****. I left my lights on Monday and got a jump from a portable jumper. Let it run, car started fine after letting it run for about 5 minutes. When leaving from work noticed I had no display lights. Because I had no display lights I wondered if I had headlights. Took a look and DS headlight was out. Then I noticed I had no gear shift lights and no HVAC lights. When I got home something told me to check my rear lights--no rear lights. OK to drive, went to work yesterday, car ran fine. Last night after doing research on the internet I decided to try to change the rear light fuse. It failed twice. This morning the speedometer, odometer, gas gauge all not working, then the car would not accelerate. I had to get it towed. What is going on Steve? The plan today was to get my battery, alternator, starter and fuses and bulbs checked. How should I proceede? The car is at the mechanic right now but work hasn't started. Please help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8. What are your questions
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes Sir.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

It's very common for lights to go out, and dash display to go out when you have a alternator not charging properly.

As far as how you should proceed is to have the battery and Alternator checked. If you do need a Alternator, I strongly recommend you tell the repair shop to get the alternator from the dealer. They will want to tell you that they can get it cheaper if they get it from their supplier which is true. How ever, when it comes to After Market Alternators ( their supplier ) they never work right. If you do get one that works, they only tend to last around a year at the most. So if you get the alternator from the dealer, the quality is still there and it will last much longer than any after market Alternator.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello Steve, I am checking in to see how you made out and if you have any more questions on?