Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

MY CAR HAS NO HEAT BEEN FLUSH NEW THERMOSTA HEAT MIN THEN IT

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** MY CAR HAS NO HEAT BEEN FLUSH NEW THERMOSTA HEAT FOR 10 MIN THEN IT BLOW COLD HEAT
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: TRIED TO FLUSH RADIATOR, HAD NEW THEROSTAT IN, SPARK PLUGS AND THE CAR WOULD WARM UP FOR ABOUT 10 MIN. THEN, IS BLOWING COLD AIR AND, RUNNING HOT..NOW WHEN IM ON THE HIGHWAY, THE COOLANT LEVEL EVENS OUT BUT,STILL COLD AIR...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

What year, model and engine size do you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2002 NISSAN SENTRA 4CYLINDER
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a check engine light coming on with cylinder misfires or anything like that?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
YOU CAN START THE CAR AND LET IT SIT AND IT STILL WON T GET WARM....
WHEN FIRST PURCHASED THE CAR, IT WOULD ONLY HEAT UP WHEN IT WAS MOVING...
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, WAS MISFIRING UNTIL WE RE PLACED THE SPARK PLUGS...
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok,

Is the radiator low at this time or full of coolant?

Sorry, I know it's a bunch of questions, but these cars have some issues with the coolant so I want to try and pinpoint this properly for you.

Also, can you tell me if both heater hoses are hot even though it's blowing cold?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
FULL OF COOLANT.IM NOT A MECHANIC, DON T KNOW WHERE THE HEATER HOSES ARE..SORRY
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, the radiator is full? Not the over flow bottle but the actual radiator.

As for the heater hoses, these are 2 smaller hoses that go from the engine to the firewall, about 3/4 inch hoses.

No problem your not a mechanic :) we can get through this so I can give you a fairly accurate diagnosis.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WHAT ELSE DO NEED TO KNOW GOT TO GO TO WORK SO TELL ME SOMETHING
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Well, here's what is happening.

The car is getting an air pocket in the heater core. This is causing the car to overheat and also preventing you from getting heat. The fact that the car will be fine for about 10 minutes, then no heat and the over heating tells me that there is air getting into the system. Usually the air is replacing lost coolant. Most often on these it's a head gasket issue. This causes misfire codes. You need to have the cooling system pressure tested to find out where the coolant is leaking. Most of the time if it's pressure tested for about an hour and the spark plugs are removed you can see coolant on top of the pistons with a flashlight. The pressure test will also show if you are leaking coolant at some other location. Make no mistake, the car is losing it somewhere and it's being replaced with the air pocket in the heater core. You need a pressure test to find out where.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
Please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you so much!