Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 96 pathfinder automatic 4wd that has a hard time

Customer Question

I have a 96 pathfinder automatic 4wd that has a hard time starting. New Batt and starter, &ignition switch. It just clicks. Sometimes I can get it started but it's getting worse. Please steer me in the right direction. Thank you Dave
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Are you getting a single click when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your time. Yes just one click
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. A single click is a indication of a bad Starter. Rapid clicking is a weak battery, single click is a starter.

So the starter will need to be replaced to resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Starter has been replaced.didn't help.both starter's test good
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

This is after market starter isn't it? They bench test it and say it's good! .... I hate these bench tests! The reason it will pass a bench test is cause it does not have a load on it. So of course if the starter does not have to turn anything it will work. But as soon as you give it a load ( The Engine ) that is when it clicks. It's very common for after market starters and Alternators not to work right in the vehicle, but pass load tests. The proper place to test it is in the vehicle where there is a load on it.

If you go to the dealer and get a Starter, I am sure that will resolve your issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?