peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I keep loosing (going out) my dash lights on my 2007 Nissan

Customer Question

I keep loosing (going out) my dash lights on my 2007 Nissan Maxima. What would cause this to happen? What would you suggest trying first?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have any problems with the air controls or any dash operates a all? or is it just the dash lights?

Any after market equipment in the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a two lighter socket/one usb plug after market accessory. As of this date I have only used one of the lighter sockets for my gps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The A/C works even if the lights on the dashboard have gone out. And the gps stays on.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How did you run that USB ?

Also if you mess with the dimmer switch when the lights come out, does that do anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the dimmer switch does nothing but dims my lights.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So when the dash lights don't work, playing with the dimmer switch won't get them to come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my headlights still work even when the dash lights go out, and the dimmer has no effect on those lights (on the dash lights) but it does work.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What about that USB. How do you have that installed? Is that linked into the radio some how? Is this the factory radio in this car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have the factory radio/cd installed. Have never used the usb yet; I have a cell phone and I would use it if I ever needed to charge my phone. Also the controls on the steering wheel (volume, phone, speed control) all work.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, this type of issue will require more advanced diagnostics and needs to be checked when the lights are not working.

this is going to be one of those things that can only be looked at in person I am afraid. I will opt out and re-open this question to see if anyone else has a idea for you. Other wise if no one replies, they would also feel that this is a hands on only matter.

Please do not reply. I am going to re-open your question and if you reply it won't open up properly.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this is only the instrument cluster dash lights that are going out and all other dash lights (heater,radio,etc.) operate properly when this issue occurs and they can be controlled with the dimmer switch itself this sounds like an internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster itself with the cluster needing removed and repaired or replaced.I have seen the internal circuit control in the instrument cluster fail before needing repaired or replaced.

This will have to be tested further to be sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir, the entire dash goes dark when it happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, Sometimes when I start the car up in the mornings with the switch on automatic everything will work and other times I can get them to work by starting the car with the lights off and then switch it to automatic and they will work too. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me!

O.k.,unfortunately after looking at my diagrams on this model here I dont see the correct diagrams I need on this.I to will have to open your question up for others to see if anyone else can assist further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete