Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I was driving my 2011 Nissan Versa today on the ghway using

Customer Question

I was driving my 2011 Nissan Versa today on the highway using cruise control at 70 mph. My car suddenly stopped controlling the speed and dropped to about 30 mph and made a jerking motion. I pulled over and turned off the vehicle. After letting it sit off for a few minutes and then it was fine when I restarted my car. Is there an issue?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When this issue happened did the car bog down and loose power almost like it ran out of gas?

Also do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lights came up and kind of but I had gas about 1/4 of a tank. The power did not flicker but it felt like the car was jumping.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Jumping like a Rev limiter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure what a Rev limiter is, but it was like it was trying really hard to move forward.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even at 30 mph
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Rev limiter the Rpm's would kind of bounce up and down like it can't go any faster.

I have a thought, but would just like to verify what you felt.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well at first I thought I must have touched the brake because the car was decelerating but then I realized I had not and I turned off the cruise control and tried pushing on the accelerator but it still would not get back up to speed. It starting making the jerking forward motions and I pulled over, no lights were on the dashboard. I let the car idle and then tried to move but had the same issue. Then I turned the car off and waited a few minutes and turned it back on with no issues.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've also noticed recently that rpm will go up to 5-6 when cruise control is on and the car is going up hill.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

ok.. How handy are you? I have something I would like you to try. I encountered something exactly like this with my good friends Sentra when I was bring it to work to do some stuff for him.

Let me know.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

What kind of Hill? Is it a Mountain or a hill?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in central New York they are just steep hills. I am not very hand at all when it comes to cars but I am willing to try. What do you think the issue is?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was going uphill at the time, not sure if that is relevant.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Let me explain. My buddy when I was bringing his car to my job all of a sudden would not accelerate properly and was loosing power if I applied the gas to hard. What happened was he had a cheap air filter from one of those quick lube oil change places. These filters weather poorly and a bug actually passed through the filter and got on the MAF sensor heated element. So all I needed to do is use a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner to clean the MAF sensor and that resolved the issue as well as put a factory air filter in of course.

This maybe something you would either want to try or have done. This part is very sensitive so if your not that handy, you may not want to try this. But I would recommend you try this first and see if it helps.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

sorry, in case you don't under stand. The MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor is what meters the air going into the engine so the computer can add the proper amount of fuel to the air mixture. A bug getting stuck on the headed element disrupts the air flow reading and throws off the mixture so the car won't accelerate properly and will jerk if the gas is applied to hard.

That is just a basic break down of what I said.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay that makes sense, I was worried that it might have been the fuel pump.I will bring it to my mechanic today. Is it okay to drive? What should I do if it happens again?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If it happens again, don't attempt to drive it and have car brought to your mechanic. Just make sure he cleans the MAF sensor. If he needs to replace it, make sure you get one from the dealer! Don't allow him to get it after market.

Have good day and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am at the mechanic now and they said it might be the cars computer. Apparently there are codes or something.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is rare. If there is no codes, and you can communicate with the computer, I highly doubt it's a computer issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did he check the air and fuel trim readings to see if there is a imbalance of air and fuel? That is the first thing you normally would check when there is no codes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure I can ask. Right now hey are attaching some device below my steering wheel.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is where the scanner connects to the car

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they check those and the reading were fine. The only thing they can see is something with my front passenger axel joint
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That won't cause the car to shut off, but if there is something wrong with the axle, it should be addressed.

I would have them do a Idle Relearn and make sure the air filter is good and clean.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!