Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Our 2011 Murano LE made a clicking noise and will not stop.

Customer Question

Our 2011 Murano LE made a clicking noise and will not stop. Now the daytime running lights will go off and the car will not start.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Was it a Rapid clicking noise the car made when you tried to start it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
then the lights started to blink alternately. The seats started to move very weirdly too.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Rapid clicking is a sign of a weak battery. I would jump start the car and that should allow it to start up properly. Then I would have the battery checked. If it's the original battery since it's 4 almost 5 years old, you may want to look into replacing the battery.

The lights and electrical is most likely acting like that cause of low battery voltage. Do you have someone to help you jump start the car?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, it wasn't that type of issue, I'm familiar enough with cars. I'm wondering if something has gone wrong with the programming. All power worked, and the the lights still will not go out, so the battery is being worn down but it did not appear to lack power when this issue started. Do you have another thought.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The car does not start correct?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Is this a clicking noise inside the cabin of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car does not start and the clicking will not stop. As I mentioned, the head lights continue to blink and it is now running the battery down.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems like it's in the engine compartment.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok.. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then reconnect it. Then you will need to attempt to Jump start the car.

I understand you feel it's not a battery issue, but everything you are describing sounds like it. The starter is the biggest draw on the electrical system and I have seen the electrical system do some whacky things when the voltage gets low on the battery.

Do you thing you can do that for me and humor me and try this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure, you're the expert.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I will be online all night so give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Also when you do get the jumper cables on the car, leave the car running and hooked up to your car for around 10 to 15 mins before attempting to start your car. This way their charging system can build a charge up on yours.

Unless you have a battery charger you can hook up to your car to charge up the battery so you can try.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Murano has been charging for 20 minutes and there is absolutely no response to the ignition button being pushed. The sounds that the car made and continued to make after I tried to start the car earlier lead me to believe that it was computer issues and because the clicking and flashing lights continued, I cannot help but think it was something electrical or computer related.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did you disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins?