Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2001 nissan xterra no codes time 6cyl.auto will run great

Customer Question

2001 nissan xterra no codes for long time 6cyl.auto will run great just will not start for 5 minutes after shutting off now will quit driving down road let sit 5 minutes and started back happened twice in 25 miles only code p0325 no check engine light is this my ecm new crank sensor new dist
new plugs wires new coolant sensor and t Stat any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for question.

Did you have a Crank sensor code is that why the sensor has been replaced? Also you put a new distributor assembly in the truck also?

When it shuts down on you does it turn off like the key has been turned off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just like turning key off no stumbling like a fuel issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No crank sensor code
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

1 min please

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

When the truck just turns off, that is normally a Cam Sensor type of issue. That is built into the distributor. Now, you replaced the whole distributor right? Since being replaced has this issue changed at all on how it starts or stalls? Does it do it the same exact way? or is it better? worse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has actually been getting worse it use to run as long as you wanted now 15 minute cycles
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So it has gotten worse since replacing the distributor?

Did you get the distributor from your local auto parts store?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Napa it was new not rebuild
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did they take your old one as a core? or do you still have it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have old one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to let you know crank sensor was first no change then dist
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Cool!!! I would like to try something. I would like to put the old distributor back in. Once back in, see if the issue gets better or back to the way it was before it got worse.

It is very common for after market electrical parts not to work right. So if it goes back to be better before it was replaced, that would indicate that the issue got worse due to the after market distributor. Replacing it with one from the dealer would resolve your issue.

I will keep this question open to hear the out come.

Oh yeah. The Crank Sensor on these trucks is only a reference. The Distributor has the Cam sensor which is the primary signal. I would put the original Crank Sensor back in the truck also. They never go bad since it is only a reference signal.

Can you do that and get back to me? I can keep this question open so you have time to do this. If you want to get back to me tomorrow evening or Tuesday evening to let me know would that work for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to tell you did put old crank sensor back you are right there was no change will go put old dist back in now give me about 45 min I should have a answer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Take your time. I am online all night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Old dist back in vehicle running spark advance is at 10 at idle just were it was rpm between 737 and 750 started vehicle at 7: 25 if as normal will shut down at7:45 will let you know
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok... let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK 20 min. Just shut off
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is that better than it was before?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Were you just letting it run on it's own idling? or did you drive it to get it to shut off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just leaving idle
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Did it run longer with the original distributor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No 20 min then just turned off been 5 minutes will probably restart and run for another 20 lol to bad I live 45 minutes from work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No active codes just p0325 in pending code
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What I am trying to determine is if there is a change in how long it runs with the original distributor verses the after market one.

Do you see a difference? How long would it run with the after market distributor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right at 20 minutes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It ran just as long with the new After Market Distributor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep just seem to have better throttle response with old dist
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I think this is a distributor issue. This is why I wanted you to pop the old one in. If you can find improvements or differences in operation, that says something is going on with the distributor. After Market ones never work right and really cause more problems than help.

I would have a scanner hooked up to monitor the Distributor signal since you can almost time how long the truck will run.

The distributor when they are a issue, the truck will shut off like the key has been turned off. If it was a MAF sensor or Fuel pump it would bog out and act like it ran out of gas.

I would see if you can return both of those parts and use that money to get one from the dealer to resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess my question is both dist do the same except for throttle response and that is very minimal but I guess I can try that
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would have it double checked with a scanner. But if there is any type of difference, that does point to the distributor.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay will have to wait till tomorrow night to check with scanner will let you know
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Talk to you then