Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I was trying to back out of my garage with my 2006 Nissan

Customer Question

I was trying to back out of my garage with my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. After shifting the gear lever into revers and moved out onto the street, I tried to shift it into drive as to move forward but the lever suddenly became freer than usual and immediately the gear selector display went to Neutral. The selector freely moves to any position but the display remains on Neutral and the car does not move. What could be the problem and what can be done to resolve this?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

can you get under the drivers side of the truck and see if the shift cable is still connected to the lever on the transmission ?

usually when this issue happens the shift cable has come off the lever or the cable has broken

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Gary, thanks for your feedback. I contacted a garage to come fix the problem but the technician came and manually shifted the selector to drive from underneath the truck. He says he has to take it to his workshop before he can find the problem. He is suggesting that it could be from the lever or as you stated, the cable being disconnected underneath; I would like to know if this is something that is obvious to physically see without dismantling anything. I have a concern that the technician will not be honest in his diagnosis and will want to "invent" a problem as to bill me more. This is typical in this area locally. If the cable is cut/broken, is that an easy change-out? How could the problem be from the actual gear selector itself if that were the case? What possible parts will need to be replaced? The car was functioning perfectly until this happened and there was no warning this was about to happen.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

yes you should be able to see this visually

99 % of these just would need a new shift cable or it re attached to the transmission if the cable just became disconnected

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up anytime with this question

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here