Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My 2008 Pathfinder won't start...key in the ignition and I

Customer Question

Customer: hi, I'm Judi. My 2008 Pathfinder won't start...key in the ignition and I get power like everything is fine, but no firing of the engine. Someone backed into my car this morning and hit it light enough to leave a little paint, but cause no other damage...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well, when you try to turn over the ignition, it makes a fast little clicking sound, but no engine spark whatsoever
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: k
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Rapid clicking like you are hearing when you turn it on to try and start it is usually due to a low battery. If the battery doesn't have enough power, you will hear the solenoid for the starter clicking, but the starter doesn't get enough power to crank the engine.

On these sometimes we see issues with the positive battery cable corroding and causing issues as well. I think you need to try a jump start to begin with. Let the donor car stay on it for about 15 minutes, then try to start it. I suspect it will start at which point I suggest taking it to a parts store if possible and have the battery tested.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judi,

Just thought I would touch base and see how you made out with this?