Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 90 300zx tt is having starter issues
, the car only

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, my 90 300zx tt is having starter issues
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the car only has 49k miles on it and is driven about 15 miles a week. When I go to crank the car it whines a bit and may take 2 or 3 attempts to start up. Recently I turn the key and nothing happens, the lights on the dash just come on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long does it take for me to get an answer?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This sounds like it could be a starter issue. Do you have a Test light or Volt Meter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have those tools but I can acquire them. Is there anything else it can be?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Well if the engine is not turning over to start, and it has been giving you trouble to turn over, it sounds like the whining noise was the starter motor starting to go.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The best way to verify is to unplug the starter under the car, and put a volt meter in the harness side of the connector and turn the key to the Crank Position. If you see voltage, then you know it's the starter. The starter connector is the gray plug going to the starter.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is more of a clicking noise than a whining noise. Does that change anything?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If it's a single click, that is a starter. If you are getting a rapid clicking, that could be a weak battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do you explain that at times there is no click at all? The lights on the dash go on but the motor doesn't turn over? Is that also a battery issue because the headlights are working.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

like I said, you need to check power to the starter. It is possible for the starter to single click or not make any noise if bad.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

getting under the car and unplugging the starter to check it would be how you would verify if the starter is bad or not

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are starter issues common for 90 300zx tt's?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

It is not common, but with the age of the car, it wouldn't surprise me

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
for now no. I will check the starter and battery and hopefully that will help.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You got it. Feel free to return back to this question if you have any more questions on this topic.

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!