Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2008 Titan that is making a rubbing noise(best way

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Titan that is making a rubbing noise(best way I can describe it) it only does it while moving. I have jacked it up and there doesn't seem to be any movement in the front suspension at all, the u joints seem good as well. Is there any common
issue that I might be overlooking?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The is nothing I can say that is common. Do you hear the noise from the front?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it seems to be the front, it also seems to have squeaking noise (may or may not be related) kind of sounds like a brake wear indicator, but the brakes are like brand new. It is really loud when you first drive it after sitting for a while then it starts to lessen to almost gone.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

I have seen the lower engine cover or the front diff skid plate make a noise like that. Can you pop those covers off and see if the noise continues?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I took all of the skid plates off and it still makes the noise. It's kind of like a creaking/rubbing noise. It will not make it sitting still, only if moving and is more the rougher the road (which make me believe it's suspension, but no play in anything)
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

is the noise loud enough that if you took a video of the noise the video would be able to hear the noise?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried to record it, but I get to much road noise
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Do you hear it more when the truck is cold?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as you drive it the noise seems to go away
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The only thing that comes to mind is that these exhaust manifolds tend to crack. So it can make the engine sound louder when its cold. Almost like a ticking noise!

Does that sound like it could be your issue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no not a ticking noise, more like a rubbing
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I have seen the front inner fender liners come loose if the front bumper cover is bumped and that could rub against the wheel and make noise when driving also.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep, I've checked all those. Don't worry about I will keep looking and listening. Thanks for your suggestions
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok, maybe try the lower engine cover also.