Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a Murano problem. I can't say if it's the battery or

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Murano problem.
I can't say for sure if it's the battery or the alternator.
Note: the battery was changed last year and the car stalled 1 month ago, then I canged the alternator and the car was running fine till today. It stalled again the same way as before
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,

After the car stalls, does the engine crank and not start?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Actually the car stalled because it drained the battery
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
But i am wondering if it could be a cable thats its doing defect. Like i said the alternator and battery are new
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Well,

Are the battery and brake light on at the same time when you are running?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok let me right this thing right.
Two weeks ago my car did light up both light but then went back to normal. Today i was riding and my car suddendly didnt accelerate on drive so i parked the car and put it to neutral and did some rev, but when a but it on drive it did not . ( my guess because the battery was running low
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Ok, so, you are assuming the battery was running low and the alternator wasn't charging. You need to confirm this.

Was the check engine light on when it wasn't accelerating?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I just checked if i have a code . p0441 but it doesnt light up check engine light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Ok

Here are my thoughts.

First, you need to confirm it's a battery issue. I say this because a bad mass air flow sensor can cause similar issues, so I would hate to see you chasing an alternator and bad battery to find out it's not the problem.

The maf can go bad on you or even the fuel pump without setting the check engine light. The P0441 won't do this to you. It's an evap code.

The reason I asked about it starting back up is because if the engine had turned off because of the battery, it certainly would not crank. I think that you really need to confirm the issue of the alternator. I do not think it's the problem, the battery and brake light should be on if its not charging.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How can i make sure its not the battery or the alternator. Last time i check the voltage on the battery with the car runing was 13.3 V
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Ok,

13.3 is about 1 volt low.

Check the charging again with the wipers on, blower on high and the headlights on. We want to see about 14.2 volts coming out of the alternator for proper performance. If you used an aftermarket alternator, it could be the problem.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ill chek tomorow ill let you know
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I bought a refrubished one
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also sometimes i can hear a belt noise at staff
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Start
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Sounds good let me know what you find. It's possible the belt may be a little loose. They can be a pain to adjust.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just to clarify i just started the car and disconnected the negative and the car shut down . one more clue for a bad alternator
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Yes, that sure is, but be careful doing that old test on the newer cars with computers, it can fry them :O

Thinking maybe the battery was showing the voltage and not the alternator. Make sure you check the battery charge with the meter first, then fire it up and measure the difference.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ill do that, i just put ankther battery in and drove but it drained it again -.- i guess ill have to ask for the warranty on the alternator.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

It does look that way. Sadly the aftermarket alternators are not the best bet. We stopped offering them at the dealership I worked for because they just aren't built well enough.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!