Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2008 nissan versa. i can not open the trunk. it

Customer Question

i have a 2008 nissan versa. i can not open the trunk. it only opens with a key. There is no trunk opening button on the fob. There is no inside the car button to release. There does not appear to be any release in the glove box. Is there something broken or a part (sensor?) or something that needs to be replace? what information can you provide to me?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you open the trunk with your key, ( thinking off the top of my head ) I believe the valet switch is inside by the latch. So when you open the truck look inside for this lever. Then flip it up or down ( I think it's up ) and then try the inside trunk release. See link for image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Trunk%20Valet.jpg

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a ridiculous answer! I can not open the trunk!! That is the problem!!! I should not be charged for this at all. :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I could open the trunk using the key, there would not be a problem. In my question, I was trying to identify that the only way I am able to (when it works) open the trunk is with a key. There is no latch inside the vehicle to release. I have checked an there is also no release in the glove box (some people have identified this is a possible solution).
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You said in your question that it only opens with the key. So I was under the impression that you can open it.

I was working off the top of my head for you. Give me a min to find where the valet switch is located for your car.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can open the truck with the key or you can't?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not open the trunk with my key or any other way at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is actually no other way that I know of to open the trunk as there is nothing in the car (such as a release) or on the remote to open the trunk.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Sorry for the confusion on that. In your question you stated you can only open it with the key.

Ok.. If you look at the back seats, towards the top of the seat back next to the head reset. You should have a pull tab that will fold the seat down to give you access to the trunk. Please check that for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check again (as i already tried to find something to bring the seats forward) and could not find anything.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. I will be here waiting. Take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There does not seem to be a release of any sort. I checked the entire length along the top of the back seat.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Does your rear seat have a center arm rest or is it the solid seat back?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have the arm rest type, when you put the arm rest down, you can access the inside of the trunk through there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/versa%20Trunk.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An arm rest in the back seat? No, there isn't one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I will get the help I need from this site. I should plan to go to the dealer for help
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you look at the first link I provided it shows how to lower the seat back to enter the trunk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the link. It doesn't help me get into the trunk from the back seat. It shows what to do if you can get into the trunk from the inside of the car--and I am not able to get into the trunk from the back.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The back seat is designed to fold down. You can't find the plastic pull tab to release the latch on the top of the seat for it to fold down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. There is no tab
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I don't see what you are telling me. Going to see a friend that might be able to help me.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then the back seat would need to be taken apart to gain access. You should have have sort of release. It could be broken.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am here if you have any more questions on this.

Thanks Jay!