Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I installed a Kenwood dbl din receiver and now dash lights

Customer Question

I installed a Kenwood dbl din receiver and now dash lights don't Wark and air bag warning flashes. Fuses good, dimmer had power in abd out. Orange wire from harness to factory radio has power when lights are turned on. Evidently factory radio completed circuit for dash light. Aftermarket does not what b to do?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

The air bag light is caused by the OCS indicator being unplugged while you tested the radio. That is not a problem to clear. I will provide you with those steps in a few.

The dash lights is what i want to focus on. Did you connect any of the factory illumination wires up to the new radio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected all the wires as directed by the aftermarket plug. The blue and red wire was connected to a orange wire going into the plug but there was no wire for the orange to go to for the radio. My dimmer has a blue and red and a pink and black wire that go to the radio on the incoming side on the plug but they do not connect to the radio. Both go on and off with the parking light switch. The radio did not require any illumination hookups. Everything is connected and works but those two wires. I feel I am not completing a circuit some how but have tried many different combination to try to get dash lights to work.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you had the Base audio system, on the factory side of the radio install kit has a Red wire and a Green wire. Those are the illumination wires. Nothing should be hooked up to those 2 wires.

Here is the steps to clear the air bag light.

1. Turn ignition switch from Off to On

2. Air Bag warning lamp will illuminate for 7 seconds solid, then it turns off. When it turns off turn off the ignition switch with in 1 second.

3. Keep ignition switch off for 3 seconds

4. repeat steps 1 to 3 two times.

5. The Air Bag light should flash in a different pattern. Once it does, do steps 1 to 3 two more times, and the air bag light should clear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reset worked on the airbag light thank you. The illumination wires from the factory wiring harness are not hooked up. To radio. I don't understand why I have powe in and out on dimmer but no dash lights. At one point I had a jumper wire hooked up but when I turned on the lights the dash lights would come on but so would the radio. When I would turn them off the radio would power down also. As I said there is a circuit that is not being completed now that was being completed with the factory radio. I am going to u but all some secondary lights for now to see speedo. Will continue to try to figure out. All other posts I gave seen say fuses are bad. All checked good and all other lights work. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What are the factory color wires you have for your Radio. This may be easier to figure out over the phone. Would that be something you are interested in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. I will go from here.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok..

Do you know if you had the Base Audio system on your truck?

When you install a after market radio, you don't hook up the illumination wires cause the after market radio has it's own illumination controls. Normally if the illumination wire or wires are hooked up, that can knock out the dash lights.

Try unplugging the radio if you can and then turn the lights on and see if the dash lights come on. If they do, then you know the illumination wires are hooked up to something causing your issue.

Give that a try and let me know how you make out