Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My nissan altima 2008 lost power when i was driving. I

Customer Question

Hi MIke , my nissan altima 2008 lost power when i was driving. I thought it could be the injectors and i put injection cleaner. I started up and it began to sputtering and check engine soon message was shown..white smoke was expulsed. i turn off the car and i tried to turn on again and inothing. No sound . only a white key sgin in the left.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the key fob is ok (good battery) but no interaction with the car. Car did not turn on again.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using justanswer.

Once you the the check engine light On ,the first step is scanning the engine computer to see what kind of trouble code is coming up/setting the engine light ON.

Mass air flow sensor ,air/fuel ratio sensor , crank sensor are good possibilities but like said ,scanning the engine to find out the trouble code is definitely the right way to approach the problem.

If you don't have a scanner or code reader ,just stop at any major auto parts store and they will scan it for you at no charge and then bring me the code(s) and I will tell you the next step t fix it.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Firestone guy told me because my car does not start they cannot scan the engione computer.
Otherwise, i detected the 250A fuse of the battery positvive was blown.we put a metal as bridge for testing. the panel turn on in testing mode. I tried to turn on the car and the fuse connection generated a great spark.
If i bought the fuse can it solve the problem? Or maybe there is a short?
compno
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hi there....yes if the computer lost power it erases the trouble codes.

No ,the new fuse most likely will burn and using a metal bridge stronger than the fuse can cause bigger problems .

I would definitely check for a short somewhere...alternator ,starter cables .

Using a test light on both sides of the fuse ,start disconnecting electric parts (alternator cable ,starter)

Remove all the bigger fuses on by one until the test light go off.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.