Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 4th car I am trying to keep running family member

Customer Question

I have a 4th car I am trying to keep running for a family member to get to work. the problem I have been having for quite some time, is that it stalls out when at a stop light/stop sign. The foot has to be kept on the gas and brake together to keep it from stalling, and sometimes that does not even work. Every time we take to a mechanic it fails to duplicate the stalling. The computer shows no error codes. I have had the following replaced and am still having the problem with no error codes showing. Any hints. Thanks.
12/4/07 - Dist Cap & Rotor
Spark Plugs & Wires
12/8/07 - Fuel Injector #6
9/15/08 - MAF Sensor
3/18/09 - Distributor
8/26/09 - Crank Sensor
Power Transistor
9/25/09 - "4" - Motor Mounts
6/27/11 - Distributor & Cap
6/18/13 - Distributor Assembly
Spark Plug & Wires
11/17/13 - Back Pressure Transducer
6/13/13 - Fuel Pressure Regulator
6/26/14 - MAF Sensor - adjust Idle Air
6/16/14: Air Filter & Cleaned Throttle Body Assembly
6/9/15 - "6" Fuel Injectors
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What year and model Nissan is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1996 Quest
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

How long has this issue been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It all started back in 2007. Did you get the time line I sent in my original question. It shows dates and what parts where replaced.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I saw all that. But I am more or less asking if all of that was done to resolve this issue, or did this issue happen somewhere along the lines of repair or some time after repairs.

Who did this work? You or a repair shop?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did your mechanic do all of this work? Did you do any of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All was done to try and resolve this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mechanic did most of the work, and Nissan mechanics did a few.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok. then.

So it only wants to stall when coming to a stop. Do you find it does it more when the vehicle is warmed up, than when it's cold? or it doesn't matter?

I need to ask some questions to see if I can determine the direction needed to resolve your issue.

Let me know what parts the Nissan Dealer did also

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not matter if the car is warm or cold. Nissan replaced the Distributor Assembly & Spark Plugs & Wires in 6/18/2013, the MAF Sensor & adjust idle air on 6/16/14, Air Filter and Cleaned Throttle Body Assembly on 6/26/14. Nissan also ran a Engine Compression Test and it was good.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It runs fine though. It accelerates ok, and picks up smooth with no issues. It's just when you have to come to a stop?

Does it stall before you come to a stop? or when you are stopped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it runs great. It has stalled both while stopped and slowing down.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if any mechanic shop played around with the throttle chamber adjustments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to my knowledge. the only time the Throttle body was mentioned on any of my receipts was when they cleaned the throttle body on 6/16/14.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping you were a little closer. I am in NJ. So no help there.

I am one of those old timer Nissan Techs. I started working for Nissan in 1990 so I recall working on these vans allot.

I have a bunch of things I would check using a scanner, but I would like to see what the fuel trim readings are and also put a fuel pressure gauge on the van.

What I am about to suggest is what I guess you will have to mention to your mechanic to check to see if he can find the problem.

This is not a common thing, so of course checks will be required to try to isolate the issue...

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

First I would check to see if the Throttle Stop screw has been tampered with. This is a factory set adjustment and if tampered with, then the throttle chamber would need to be replaced.

If it has not been tampered with, I would check the TPS settings to make sure the voltage and Throttle switch Open/Close is set properly.

Next I would unplug the bottom connector of the TPS and adjust base idle to around 750 to 800 Rpms. ( note what the Rpm's are before you make the adjustment )

Then.. If all that is ok. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the van and drive it. See what happens to fuel pressure when it stalls. See if it drops. Maybe it's a fuel pump.

I would also check the Short Term Fuel Trim readings to see if it's with in spec. If not in spec, see if the van is rich or lean and that could determine the next steps. Maybe a vacuum leak or something.

Understand so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can hold this question open so you can have your mechanic check those things and give you the information so you can let me know.

Will that work for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please hold it open and I'll have my mechanic check it out I'll just forward him your response. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Done. To return back to this question so you can give me the results, simply log into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question.

Your user name and password ***** have been emailed to you.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Talk to you soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jay,I have the vehicle back now. My mechanic said he did all those things you outlined. On Monday, he also adjusted the Idle Control Valve. So I will drive it and see if it stalls out.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok