Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

How are you?
, Yes. I have a 00 Infinity QX4 and the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is***** are you ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I have a 00 Infinity QX4 and the other I was working on the detailing the car. I did wash it but only in the outside not inside the engine compartment. Well yesterday I went back to finish cleaning it and I had the key in the on position. I thought I started hearing some sort of electrical short so left the key in the on position. After a few minutes I started smelling gas and looked and the car was leaking gas from under the airbox. Then I tried to start the car to get it out of the garage but now it will not start. I replaced the battery but it will not even crank. sorry for all the detail but this just all happened at once.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait a little bit.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: for how much?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

hey there, is the vehicle still leaking fuel? did you smell it? you are sure it's fuel correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not leaking any more and I did see it and smelled it.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for clarifying. The fuel leaking is really odd, but we will ignore that unless it starts back up since leaking fuel has nothing to do with a "no crank" condition.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If the car is not even cranking at all, You need to start simple since it's in the starting circuit.

You need to make sure the battery terminals are tight and do not move, since you replaced the battery you need to be sure the plastic battery posts caps were removed before installing it.

Once your certain the battery is secured and installed properly, you really need to have a volt meter to test the circuit. and make sure power is going through the ignition switch and to the PNP relay and then the starter. If you have a volt meter or test light let me know so we can proceed.

If you don't have any test light or voltmeter, then try wiggling the key while starting and try starting it in neutral and see if it makes any difference at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I did some additional research and found out that the issue may be that I managed to fill the combustion chambers of the engine full of gasoline while I had the ignition in the on position without starting the car and that has essentially hydro-locked the engine where it will not crank. I can understand that but I thought that the fuel injectors do not open until the computer sends the signal for it to open and let fuel out. As a Nissan tech have you any knowledge or dealt with something like this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is letting me believe that this was what happened is the fact that the fuel was leaking out of the EGR valve looking thing and out of the bottom of the air box. That was the biggest source of the leak. it looked like a fluid hose broke and it was cascading down from under the air box. I was really confused as to why fuel would be coming from underneath the air box.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

fuel shouldn't be coming out of the airbox or the the EGR valve.

Do you have an actual picture of exactly where the fuel came out of? The injectors won't remain open with key ON and flood the cylinders, the injectors pulse as the engine turns and the cam signal prompts the ECM to pulse them. That much fuel anywhere near the cylinders wouldn't have came from the injectors, more likely that the fuel regulator is failed and dumping fuel in the intake manifold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have pictures at this moment but I did t take off the air intake hose and the air filter was drenched with gas and the bottom of the air box still had gas in the pockets of the box so the gas was definitely in the intake manifold. So you would attribute all that fuel to the fuel pressure regulator? Do they normally fail? So I guess if it is the FPR, I will need to replace it. What about the fuel that would have filled the combustion chamber?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Realistically the air box and air filter being fuel of fuel like that doesn't make alot of sense.

You need to check your vacuum lines like I mentioned, especially he one coming off the FPR because if the diaphram fails it will pull fuel like a straw through the vacuum system.