Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

I am ***** *****. I own a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe. When I

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, I am ***** *****. I own a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe. When I press on the gas the RPM's do not go up above 2000 and the speed increases very slowly. When you really push down on the gas there is a loud rattling or vibration sound. I changed the oil and the oil filter. There were no metal shavings in the oil and it was not milk/cloudy.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It has been doing this off and on and it is finally bad enough that I can't drive it because I cannot keep up with traffic Not sure what other details to give the vibration sound is worse when you give it gas....it doesn't sound like a knocking sound so....just a loud vibration
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Most likey the catalytic converter is restricting the flow of exhaust, and will need to be replaced. You can loosen the oxygen sensor temporarily and see if the engine will rev up. if it does then the catalytic converter must be replaced. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not ,please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not ,please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.